Is a .222 / .223 Contender Pistol Deer Legal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okie varmint, he said that the regs say that in a hangun, it must be .24 cal or larger; that means that NO .223 round is legal from a contender HANDGUN (*if* he's quoting the reg correctly, as I said), even though it would be legal in a contender RIFLE. A handgun is a handgun, and a handgun doesnt transform to a rifle just because its shooting a rifle round... But maybe he quoted the reg incorrectly - Ill look it up later tiday when i get home.

okievarmint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As is an earlier post:
Copied from the Wildlife Department Website, Legal Firearms=
Handguns chambered for any centerfire rifle ammunition: Chambered for any centerfire rifle ammunition using at least a 55-grain soft-nosed bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer and a minimum barrel length of four (4) inches.

jblay

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate the .222 rem in a 10" barrel may not be ideal. I understand the lack of twist in a heavier bullet impacting accuracy. I'm also thinking most of my shots will be sub 50 yards as I walk and stalk rather than hunker and hide. We'll see what I can do in practice before I go out.

That said, what is the opinion on a .223 in a 14" barrel Contender?

Thanks,
John

jblay

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
oh, ok, okievarmint, so that's where the confusion came in - the OP quoted it wrong. Well good, makes sense to me....doesn't matter if it's a handgun or rifle - either way, 55 gr and you're golden.

The "OP" did not quote it wrong. He quoted it incomplete. I missed the third section on the handguns chambered for rifle cartridges. Had I noted that, there would have never been an original post, I would have simply bought the Contender package in question. I am a novice in these things in Oklahoma. I have found OK to have infinitely more rules related to hunting than I am accustomed. I was asking for guidance in the legalities. The best answer I received on this thread was the gentleman who said to call the wildlife department. I did and received the answer I needed from the right end of the horse.

By the way, the "OP" is named John. He was blessed with Free Will AND Opposable Thumbs - I believe that grants him the courtesy of more than a third party reference in his own thread when enumerating his mistakes.

Thanks,
John

Latest posts

Top Bottom