Smooth bore insert for TC Contender 22 shot cartridge, legality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5556601F-9B37-46C1-AA3E-7158FFF82514.jpeg

Speer shot capsules, they come in 357/44/45 and no worries about legalities.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely flirting with legality here, and I think youre more on the wrong side of the fence of legality too. I would suggest getting a henry garden gun. They make smoothbore 22lr inserts for shotguns, allowing you to shoot 22 shotshells out, but the inserts are extremely short and I have my doubts about effectiveness.

ok-22shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
pretty much all of the posts have followed my thoughts. the 26" length for a shotgun (smooth bore) I had not thought about. my pellet gun shoots 22 cal lead pellets at 1000 fps and groups 3 rounds in a nickel at 15 yards but the rats and pigeons don't set still like a bullseye. the garden guns I have seen are more than I wanted to pay. some pellet guns have 1;22 twist which is a bit slower than a standard 1;16 for 22 lr. insert for a 410 shotgun would be interesting but the issue of CF vs RF would have to be worked out. thanks for all the comments

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago, I had a buddy that wanted to shoot rats in the barn and not blow holes in anything not a rat. Needed shotgun loads. We found some #9 shot, made a very light load with about 1/8 the pellets of a light factory load. Worked well for a single shot. This was a 12 gauge load and I'm assuming the same could be done with 20/.410?

Doesn't answer you legality questions, but might solve your "need to" Accuracy was about Minute of Milk jug from 10-15 feet, but it worked.

gemihur

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a barrel that's a 357 Hot shot, been heavily reconfigured by a talented gunsmith who installed a solid ribbed rail with custom front sight and shortened it to accommodate the use of a Williams silhouette sight and bored it to accept 357 maximum cartridges. I do not however possess a choke or shellcracker to utilize shot capsules but I have a key that fits one
357 mag takesmax.jpg

thought provoking, ain't it?

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several years ago, I had a buddy that wanted to shoot rats in the barn and not blow holes in anything not a rat. Needed shotgun loads. We found some #9 shot, made a very light load with about 1/8 the pellets of a light factory load. Worked well for a single shot. This was a 12 gauge load and I'm assuming the same could be done with 20/.410?

Doesn't answer you legality questions, but might solve your "need to" Accuracy was about Minute of Milk jug from 10-15 feet, but it worked.
Not to hijack the thread but I read an article (cannot find it for the life of me) about a fellow that did something similar.
He reloaded 12 gauge 2.75 inch hulls to get lighter loads something like the old foreign 2 inch shells in 12 ga.
Don't remember all the details though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom