Is a .222 / .223 Contender Pistol Deer Legal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okievarmint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Copied right off the Department of Wildlife website: Yes it's legal.
Earl

Centerfire handguns: Chambered for .24 caliber or larger and 100 grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer are legal (.357 or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four (4) inches.

Semi-automatic handguns: Chambered for any centerfire ammunition with a 100-grain or heavier soft-nosed bullet and having a cartridge case size of .40 caliber or larger (includes 10 mm, .357 Sig., and 40 cal. or larger) and a minimum barrel length of four (4) inches.

Handguns chambered for any centerfire rifle ammunition: Chambered for any centerfire rifle ammunition using at least a 55-grain soft-nosed bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer and a minimum barrel length of four (4) inches.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been huntin with a 16" bbl contender for many years. Chambered for 30-30, with a shoulder stock mounted. My buddy Pfred (16 points) is hanging on the wall as an example of what a hand loaded single shot will accomplish.
I know that's a little bigger than a .222 but I just had to brag.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been huntin with a 16" bbl contender for many years. Chambered for 30-30, with a shoulder stock mounted. My buddy Pfred (16 points) is hanging on the wall as an example of what a hand loaded single shot will accomplish.
I know that's a little bigger than a .222 but I just had to brag.

We need pics!:D

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice buck Willystruck. Does the triple duece shoot a 55 gr bullet? I have a rifle in it I bought a few months ago but have not reloaded for it yet of shot enough to know.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope, mine is in 30-30. 16" bbl Contender, shoulder stock & Aim Point. 135 gr single shot pistol bullet. Not much heavier than a pistol but deadly on both ends! Just had to brag a little about Pfred

Reaction score
Well, I just called the Game Warden. He said that if I was fine with bullet weight, a T/C Contender in .222 or .223 would be legal.

Even if that's true, the twist rate on a .222 Rem bbl ain't gonna do well with 55 grain and up in all likelihood (they're optimized for 35, 40, and 45 grain bullets) - not to mention impede case capacity and therefore performance.
Norma makes a 62 grain cartridge.
Again, be that as it may, it won't do any good if you can't hit with it, and factory .222 bbls are 1 in 14", so I kinda doubt it. Your handgun might or may not stabilize them. And the powder capacity will be quite limited. But I suppose it may be worth a try - there's always a chance ; weird things can happen. I have a friend whose S&W MP-22 shoots the 60 gr aguila SSS with a (supposed) 1 in 16" twist!

.223 should work though - but by those regs - if quoted correctly, it's not legal, even if 55 gr or over - because it's a handgun, and it's not .24 or larger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom