Is is my imagination or is Brass getting Hard to come by

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrivesGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is getting as scarce as hen's teeth to find 7.62x39 Brass. Neither Lapua or Winchester seems to have shipped any to their distributors. Midway isn't even allowing back orders. I was able to place a back order at Brownels, but it looks like the shipment may be as late as June. I was thinking about trying to reload Bear Golden. I do have a Lyman reamer tool to ream the crimp out, but I am not sure the dies would hold up long to the extra stress of resizing steel. Has anyone tinkered with reloading Steel cases? Any pointers might be helpful.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
use imperial sizing die wax inside the necks with a Qtip and same wax on the outside .
I have used and sized steel 45acp cases no issues..but carbide dies..
Make sure the steel is very clean inside and out and there should be no extra stress on the dies.
If you fired this steel from your gun..maybe a neck sizing will be sufficient.
Some steel wool size 0000 on a bore brush will clean inside of necks really well if there is carbon stuck inside them.
If there is carbon outside the cases..remove all that before sending them into a die...
0000 wool will work on outside also ...if tumbling does not get it all....And blow all the steel wool off the case..

I am now saving all my 270 brass i pick up..convert it to 30-06 or .243..or .308 as i have those but do not have a 270.
Yes i am hording all my brass..

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ran into some steel cases that had 2 primer holes going from where the primer was seated into the case and neither were in the center for the depriming pin to work, had a guy tell me that you could remove the depriming pin but leave the piece that goes on the inside of the neck then fill the shell with water and use hydrolic pressure to push it out. I personally have not tried it, but it looks like it would work.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started saving steel cases last year. The guys on ar15.com have been reloading steel for years. Several have posted that the fears of wear on the dies, etc. have largely been overstated and not really an issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom