Is it worth getting into reloading still?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reloading is not essentially a cost saving endeavor today. It is, always was, and always will be a major factor in obtaining the maximum accuracy performance from one's guns. Cost includes the reloading equipment, consumables, learning curve, and heartbeats.
I started reloading back in the early 70's and never gave it much thought about acquiring components until I needed them, then the first massive government corruption mob (Clinton Mafia) took over and that's when I realized to be able to acquire ammo for future disruptions in the supply chain I'd better start stock piling the components for the future, same way when O-blunder took over and again when I thought Trump would be a victim of a coup I stocked up more. There's no such thing as having too much when it comes to survival, when all the ready ammo dries up you can always make your own and better accuracy is a by-product also.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't do it, stay away from reloading it is an addiction. 90% of the stuff in this picture you don't need. I'm too far gone for rehab now.
gun room (2).JPG

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not at Prefreedomeoke's level but the stash is pretty significant. Got busted during the .22 shortage, but never again.
Shotgun used to be too inexpensive to reload except for specialty pheasant/turkey loads but that is turning around if one has the components in stock from back in the day.
I think there is around 7 or 8 25 lb bags of hard shot of different sizes under the bench with all the primers/hulls to make the load through the RCBS Grand Progressive I used when into trap shooting. Couple bags of reclaimed shot which is the way to go for close trap or bird hunting. Guy here in town mines the shot and reclaims it from different ranges.
If one doesn't count their time, reloading can certainly be cost saving especially in pistol.

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you are reloading for large caliber rifles or revolvers, or for less common rounds I would say 100% it is worth it. For example I reload 41 magnum revolver rounds because its nearly impossible to find and when you do its insanely expensive. I can't say its worth it to reload 9mm right now like it used to be, but if there is something I have learned its to plan ahead.

I guarantee you at some point in the future ammo will start being taxed heavily, or banned, or require a license... or other nonsense laws/rules so now is the time to stock up. Its just like this past year when ammo skyrocketed, the prices for all the reloading equipment and components skyrocketed or they just weren't available. If you wait to buy until it is a last resort you will end up spending a ton and/or not get the items you need.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you are reloading for large caliber rifles or revolvers, or for less common rounds I would say 100% it is worth it. For example I reload 41 magnum revolver rounds because its nearly impossible to find and when you do its insanely expensive. I can't say its worth it to reload 9mm right now like it used to be, but if there is something I have learned its to plan ahead.

I guarantee you at some point in the future ammo will start being taxed heavily, or banned, or require a license... or other nonsense laws/rules so now is the time to stock up. Its just like this past year when ammo skyrocketed, the prices for all the reloading equipment and components skyrocketed or they just weren't available. If you wait to buy until it is a last resort you will end up spending a ton and/or not get the items you need.
I agree. Reloading now compared to earlier days when components were cheap still have something in common. How much are you going to shoot. The sad thing is that most young (or older) people cant get into reloading as a hobby like so many others have over the years.

Reloading Rod

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it is still worth it, you buy primers at $100 per 1k (.10 each), bullets at .10 and powder at $40 a pound, if you have brass, your looking a .25 per round or $12.50 per 50. Cast your own bullets your down to .15 per round or $7.50, or course this doesn't include your time. So to me even reloading 9mm is worth it, as said above they will eventually tax or burden the ammo market, I like be able to make whatever I need when I need it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom