Is it worth getting into reloading still?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a 300 Weatherby Mag here in a trade and plan to use it for hunting over the next many years. It came with one box of Weatherby Select Plus ammo. I knew the ammo was pricey before picking up the rifle, but man, I didn't expect $100 a box.

While I am happy to pay $100 once or twice, I would like to be able to reload the same brass after that as I don't expect to shoot more than 20 rounds a year on this rifle once I have it dialed in.

Would it be more cost effective to buy the equipment needed to reload 300 Wby Mag right now? Also very interested in loading for 7mm Rem Mag and 243. What would it take to get started?

I figure that the stuff I shoot a lot of, 9mm, 223, and 308 all are readily available and relatively cheap so I am fine with buying boxes of that pre-loaded.
You could also find a reloading friend to load you're ammo for you, someone you can trust to do the job right, maybe even have them show you the fine points on how you could do it yourself.
I myself own a 300 Wby and reload for it, one trick I learned over the years is to seat the bullets out as far as you can but still fit in the magazine because Weatherby cuts a very long throat in their chambers, this gets them the high velocities they strive for with out spiking the pressures way up but accuracy suffers so if you do this you'll have to cut back on the powder charge, I prefer to have better accuracy than ultimate velocity.
Another point on reloading equipment, hit the gun shows or search on the internet for the tools, you could save 50-70% on good used stuff over new. Good luck.

david1289

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got into reloads more because I like the idea of tinkering and doing things myself. Plus I went the cheap route using Lee equipment thinking that if it was a waste of my time then I could probably sell it easily. I ended up really enjoying it as I have had good luck with my reloads (with the exception of my Grendel…lol). It’s fun to hunt with reloads and getting the satisfaction of using your own ammo.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not always. Certainly not in my case; I have the setup to reload about half a dozen calibers, but I’d much rather not have to reload for any of them. It’s not worth the stress and hassle, to me.
I understand, I don’t necessarily love reloading, but in a lot of instances it lets me shoot better ammo at a cheaper cost. Especially in rifles

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I reloaded for about twenty years after receiving a Dillon 550 progressive machine. Also bought an O shaped RCBS single stage press to reload the bigger .30 caliber rounds. .308, .30-06. It was evident to me after a couple years of competing in pistol and rifle matches, that, if you are going to shoot a lot, year after year, reloading brass 5-6 times would allow you to fire many more rounds for training, plinking, competing , for about the same money. It’s a judgement call for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom