Is there anything to do in Wister, Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They have a carwash.
1713313902401.png

busterheiney

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in the area. Nothing in Wister, but if you want to see some nice scenery, swing up to Poteau and drive up the world's highest hill, Cavanal. Got a beautiful lookout area at the top. Talimena Drive is also breathtaking. Winds through the mountains. Warehouse Willy's has the best steak in the area.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in the area. Nothing in Wister, but if you want to see some nice scenery, swing up to Poteau and drive up the world's highest hill, Cavanal. Got a beautiful lookout area at the top. Talimena Drive is also breathtaking. Winds through the mountains. Warehouse Willy's has the best steak in the area.

I'm not so sure about Cavanal being the highest hill. I guess it depends on where one starts the measurement. Sherman Hill on I-80 in Wyoming is the highest point along the entire interstate. I had to pull that hill towing our 38-foot fifth wheel in 2016 and the fuel filters clogged enough to slow my pace down to about 35 mph.

Sherman Hill tops out at 8,640 feet in elevation above sea level. Cavanal tops out at 2,385 feet in elevation above sea level.

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Long Lake RV in Poteau is worthwhile if you are camping. Recommend the drive-thru's in the back... Maria's (mexican) isn't bad...Ft Smith is only 30 minutes drive...

Do not remember anything in Wister...squirrely looking place

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why is it the people at nudist camps are NOT the ones you want to see nude?
LMAO! Beat me to it! Before drones were everywhere I used to lay out in the backyard in my birthday suit.*

* Until I happen to see my 80 something year old (at the time) on his roof. Work binoculars. 🤨😶🤦 If I was 80 too maybe it would have been okay but I was a shy introverted child of 40. Besides -- I'm the girl who doesn't mind it if other girls wanna show off their wares but nobody wants to see THIS ... Except maybe Grumpy ... 🤔🤔 You know I never asked. 🤔🤔🤔 Maybe I should ... *

* Ask Grumpy you dirty old men!! ASK GRUMPY IF HE WANTS TO SEE IT! 😂😂😂 Or if I should get the light! 😂😂😂

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

avanal Hill​

4 languages
Tools

Coordinates:
17px-WMA_button2b.png
35°04′15″N 94°40′46″W
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cavanal Mountain
Highest point
Naming
Geography

Cavanal Hill viewed from the southeast side
Elevation2,385 ft (727 m)[1]
Prominence1,775 ft (541 m)
Coordinates
17px-WMA_button2b.png
35°04′15″N 94°40′46″W[2]
EtymologyFrench caverneux ("cavernous")[3]
Cavanal Mountain is located in Oklahoma
Cavanal Mountain

Cavanal Mountain
Le Flore County, Oklahoma, U.S.
Parent rangeOuachita Mountains
Topo mapUSGS Cavanal Mountain
Cavanal Hill (officially Cavanal Mountain), located near Poteau, Oklahoma, is described by a sign at its base as the "'World's Highest Hill' – Elevation: 1,999 feet".[4] The actual summit elevation is 2,385 feet (727 m) above sea level;[2] the difference in elevation between the summit and the Poteau River 3 miles (5 km) to the north is 1,960 feet (600 m).[5]

Hill / mountain[edit]​

The billing is based on a delineation between a hill and a mountain, that being if the geographical feature were 2,000 feet or higher than its base, then it would be classified as a mountain instead of a hill.[citation needed] However, the United States Geographic Names Information System contains thousands of summits with "hill" in their names which are higher than 2,000 feet.[6]

Latest posts

Top Bottom