Molcajete in Enid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The restaurant in Ponca puts a mix of everything protein is in theirs thay I’ve ate at. Most I’ve got in restaurants around the country do the same. Mix of shrimp, chicken, bacon, and fajita beef in a tomato based salsa with mixed veggie’s.
The salsa is the key IMHO.
Just bear in mind that these Mexican dishes come from a people that sing about cockroaches - 'La Cucaracha' :laugh6:

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grew up having tacos at home once in a while, then tacos at taco hell before I gave that place up, had some good tacos at a bar in town but never frequented Mexican restaruants after a horrific event at a birthday party for a brother of mine that wanted to go to chi chi's.

We all sat down to eat, got menus, I opened my menu, and there it was.......

A bunch of names of things I never heard of! No pictures! No explanation of what it contained! 😳

Cant remember if I ordered anything or not, but I do remember having chips and salsa.

I still like a home made taco now and then!

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They serve it at El Tapatio in Stillwater. I ordered it once when a couple of my buddies decided to go get some tex-mex.

That Molcajete came to the table so hot, my friends were done 15 minutes before I was even able to start eating! I swear it continued to sizzle for 20 minutes at the table just from the stored heat in that stone bowl,

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
They serve it at El Tapatio in Stillwater. I ordered it once when a couple of my buddies decided to go get some tex-mex.

That Molcajete came to the table so hot, my friends were done 15 minutes before I was even able to start eating! I swear it continued to sizzle for 20 minutes at the table just from the stored heat in that stone bowl,

That’s what I want.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Woodward- hector’s, Luna and la poblonita all have one or atleast did. The only one you should consider is hectors. And you should consider most things in hectors. It’s very good and hector looks like Jesus and Ron Jeremy had a baby and he will likely greet you at the door saying “welcome, how are you doing my brother?”. He also had a location in Enid but I think covid took it out.

Fairview- el maya. Judging by your pic and description, you’ll want the “Guanajuato”. You won’t be disappointed.

Enid- as stated, playa azul has one. Also, el maya used to have a location there, not sure if it’s still there or not. If Maya is still there, I’d go to maya. If you’re coming from guymon going to Enid, and you don’t stop at hectors in woodward, then I’d still go to Fairview for molcajete.

Guymon- el pollo ranchero. Eaten it there twice on the way back from Boise city. Don’t remember if it was on the menu or not, but they did make me and my brother one in 2019 and 2021. It was ok. They put cactus in it which I’m never really a fan of.

Buffalo used to have a Mexican place that was just a house in town. Had a sign on a dumpster that said “gorditas”, they had a molcajete that was pretty dang good. But It was Hot as hell, almost too hot to eat. and I like hot. Their gorditas were excellent. I also had a stomach issue every time I ate there. But I have stomach issues, so maybe don’t blame them.

Alva- el maya. Same as Fairview, but not as well run. Still good though. Again, the Guanajuato is the one I’d go for.

There was also a place in hooker that had one, I don’t remember the name, or know if it’s still open, so this isn’t too helpful. but my aunt in law lived there for forever and I know ate one there around 2009ish.

I love me some molcajete. I’ll order it anywhere that offers it. And probably try to order it even when it’s not offered- I’ve had good luck with this strategy. It might not come out in the stone bowl, but the ingredients and proportions are all there. I try to order it in Okc frequently, I either get looked at like an idiot or they say yes. I love hectors in general, and have had a couple pretty good ones in Okc, but the Fairview maya is probably my favorite of all of them. They come real heavy on the chorizo- and everything else, it’s a lot. I used to go out of my way to Fairview on the way to my land near jet, order a molcajete Guanajuato and a Chile Colorado and then not cook for three days.

Last edited:

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Woodward- hector’s, Luna and la poblonita all have one or atleast did. The only one you should consider is hectors. And you should consider most things in hectors. It’s very good and hector looks like Jesus and Ron Jeremy had a baby and he will likely greet you at the door saying “welcome, how are you doing my brother?”. He also had a location in Enid but I think covid took it out.

Fairview- el maya. Judging by your pic and description, you’ll want the “Guanajuato”. You won’t be disappointed.

Enid- as stated, playa azul has one. Also, el maya used to have a location there, not sure if it’s still there or not. If Maya is still there, I’d go to maya. If you’re coming from guymon going to Enid, and you don’t stop at hectors in woodward, then I’d still go to Fairview for molcajete.

Guymon- el pollo ranchero. Eaten it there twice on the way back from Boise city. Don’t remember if it was on the menu or not, but they did make me and my brother one in 2019 and 2021. It was ok. They put cactus in it which I’m never really a fan of.

Buffalo used to have a Mexican place that was just a house in town. Had a sign on a dumpster that said “gorditas”, they had a molcajete that was pretty dang good. But It was Hot as hell, almost too hot to eat. and I like hot. Their gorditas were excellent. I also had a stomach issue every time I ate there. But I have stomach issues, so maybe don’t blame them.

Alva- el maya. Same as Fairview, but not as well run. Still good though. Again, the Guanajuato is the one I’d go for.

There was also a place in hooker that had one, I don’t remember the name, or know if it’s still open, so this isn’t too helpful. but my aunt in law lived there for forever and I know ate one there around 2009ish.

I love me some molcajete. I’ll order it anywhere that offers it. And probably try to order it even when it’s not offered- I’ve had good luck with this strategy. It might not come out in the stone bowl, but the ingredients and proportions are all there. I try to order it in Okc frequently, I either get looked at like an idiot or they say yes. I love hectors in general, and have had a couple pretty good ones in Okc, but the Fairview maya is probably my favorite of all of them. They come real heavy on the chorizo- and everything else, it’s a lot. I used to go out of my way to Fairview on the way to my land near jet, order a molcajete Guanajuato and a Chile Colorado and then not cook for three days.

I don’t go to El Pollo Ranchero very much here. Small building and it’s always super busy, I’ll have to try it again though!

bogart9

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or anywhere in Oklahoma/Texas/New Mexico/Kansas for that matter. I don’t believe there’s a single place in Guymon that serves them and we have some pretty good Mexican food here… I’ll keep searching here but over a decade ago I had a Molcajete at a restaurant in Enid but can’t remember the name of the restaurant. It was so dang good and I’ve been craving it forever but wasn’t even sure if the restaurant was still open or not. I think it was on the East side of Enid somewhere…

Anyone here know what I may be talking about or maybe even have suggestions on a place with a better Molcajete?
It sounds like Marisco Los Primos, 701 E. Broadway, Enid, which puts it seven blocks due east of downtown.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Rico's in Helena has them, didn't realize that until today.

20230721_113929.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom