Is this tree dying?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s a maple. They have a diffuse xylem system. You almost literally cannot drown them. It looks like the leaves are just curling a bit from the heat and sun. Look at it when it’s dark and the leaves will look 100% normal.

Damn, that's unfortunate. My neighbor has a maple tree in the front yard, right on the property line, that is a pain in my posterior.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s a maple. They have a diffuse xylem system. You almost literally cannot drown them. It looks like the leaves are just curling a bit from the heat and sun. Look at it when it’s dark and the leaves will look 100% normal.
My mom and Dad have a couple of somber maples. They have had some
Limbs die but nothing major. I sure love these trees. Very pretty. But I hate the roots hey create.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Our maples were planted by the previous owners in 2003, they've handled drought and constant wind here. They're about 20' apart, and the north one is quite a bit bigger than the south one, due to the south one blocking the wind for the north one.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Silver maple trees biggest problem is when they are near foundation, concrete, etc. The tree is well known for shallow roots (even above ground) which can cause lots of problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom