It's Coming: Fear the Walking Dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defnestor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that it has been established in TWD, that the Walkers react to sound and movement. One walker hears a sound or sees a movement and heads in that direction, others key off that one and join in and that's how a herd grows. I guess there could be a situation where there is no distinct external stimulus and you could end with a herd just milling around. Think of the scene at the feed lots, that stopped the crew trying to get to DC. In the book, World War Z, they describe a scene where a zombie spends days trying to dig out a critter out of a hole, in the middle of the desert, then finally gives up and wanders off. So assuming that the lore carries over, you might assume that they have some kind of limited short term memory, that keeps them on task, until that memory is over written or just fades away.

Reminiscent of the scene from Tremors, when they find the town drunk, who died of dehydration on an electrical tower, afraid to come down.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buick,

You are spot on.

Sorry but he I don't think he is spot on.

Katrina was a city wide (well region wide) disaster that affected nearly all of the local area simultaneously in the course of a few hours. The Z-plague just isn't like that. The analogy is very poor. The writers keep coming up with improbable scenarios about how many people would get infected at once. I am not even arguing that some (many) people wouldn't start looting or turn bad but that just doesn't account for the near total simultaneous fall that the writers are narrating, though not really showing us, in FtWD.
It's odd how on this board so many talk about how the armed citizen is willing/available to serve as the militia, presumably in the event of an emergency, to supplement (or oppose in the case of oppression) the existing civil authorities but then assume that in this case it is immediately every-man-for-himself, back to the law-of-the-jungle and every institution crumbles immediately with no chance of recovery.

I think the WW-Z story line is much more believable overall. Having said that, I acknowledge again that we are a bunch of adults arguing about a make believe scenario of zombies - fun but absolutely unprovable. It kind of feels like the scene from "Stand By Me" where they are talking around the campfire saying things like, "If Mickey's a mouse, and Pluto's a dog, then what the heck is Goofy?"

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did notice that the main characters finally learned to eliminate zombies. Predictably, the anti-gun guy didn't seem to mind pulping zombie heads with hammers and bolt cutters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom