It's here, and it's raining

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At my house, at least. I live in NW OKC and plan to go out to Watonga when my neighbor, the landowner, gets home this afternoon.

In the 30 or so years I have hunted dove without missing a season, weather has been a negative factor around opening day in over half of the years.

I suspect, based on all the reports I have heard, that our wet summer up through July, has worked against the number of local birds. I have always done best after hot dry summers, especially when they lap over into September.

Dove like sunshine, and love wind. I suspect today's outing will be more of a scouting trip than anything else. When it's cloudy, thay usually do not fly much.

The place I am going has a pond, a wheat field, a few trees, and a road with fine gravel (they love that), and that's about all one needs for a good dove area.

Good luck to all. CB

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leaving OKC around 4:00 and should be there around 5:00 according to my host. He had to work today, and all my stuff is piled up and ready to go. Taking a couple of 20 ga 1100s this trip. CB

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watched it rain one inch from the porch. Saw seven soggy birds during a couple of lulls. The place looks perfect and has the added inducement of a nice looking pond that is rumored to hold a bass population.

Next time I'm bringing fishing tackle as well as a dove gun. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom