Maybe it's time and this is a sign...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard and seen enough stories about Olights exploding (or at the very least melting) so that's enough to put me off of them. Use whatever you like, but I'll personally stick with Streamlight. And also, Olight is Chinese and Streamlight is American, if that matters to you (I say this as a Holosun owner)
Streamlight uses Chinese parts. beware

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own both Olight and Streamlight duty-type lights. Between those two choices, for duty use, I'd go with Streamlight, hands down. Surefire would be my first choice for a duty light, though.

I've used lots of Streamlights and Surefires on duty and Surefire wins in my opinion, hands down. But, at a price. I'm just not ready yet to trust an Olight for duty use.

My duty use was normal street duty and tac team duty. So they were used pretty hard.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember watching old 1950's FBI training films about flashlight and revolver technique.
It involves holding the light extended away from your body and bad guys shooting right at the light.
A light in your center mass is a target.

That exact same technique was taught when I went through MP school and that's been a minute or two .

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Considering you have a much higher chance of being in a shooting at night vs the day, I’d say for LE one is definitely needed. And then, don’t think just nighttime, what about a dark classroom, janitor closet or bathroom with someone at gunpoint?

Can some like @OK Corgi Rancher please explain to me why the Surefire is worth $300+, when Streamlights are half the price? I’ve owned many TLR models over the years, heck, have over a dozen right now. Never had ONE failure. So, I’m curious why the Surefire is so HYPED.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Considering you have a much higher chance of being in a shooting at night vs the day, I’d say for LE one is definitely needed. And then, don’t think just nighttime, what about a dark classroom, janitor closet or bathroom with someone at gunpoint?

Can some like @OK Corgi Rancher please explain to me why the Surefire is worth $300+, when Streamlights are half the price? I’ve owned many TLR models over the years, heck, have over a dozen right now. Never had ONE failure. So, I’m curious why the Surefire is so HYPED.

The vast majority of officer fatalities are not shooting related .

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

In my experience Surefire lights are generally brighter between equivalent models. Batteries last longer and bulbs do as well. I had one Streamlight that just devoured bulbs. Don't know why. The lens cover on the large flashlights were much better from Surefire...the Streamlight covers scratched easily. The last thing I can think of is the Surefires always seemed to fit the rails/mounts a little tighter. Others may have different experiences.

Also, keep in mind, I haven't used one of these on duty since the early 2000s. I still have one or two of each of the 3 mentioned here. But they mostly just sit around and help me look cool...

I have two Olights right now and I think they're great flashlights for the money. I love the charging system they have.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my experience Surefire lights are generally brighter between equivalent models. Batteries last longer and bulbs do as well. I had one Streamlight that just devoured bulbs. Don't know why. The lens cover on the large flashlights were much better from Surefire...the Streamlight covers scratched easily. The last thing I can think of is the Surefires always seemed to fit the rails/mounts a little tighter. Others may have different experiences.

Also, keep in mind, I haven't used one of these on duty since the early 2000s. I still have one or two of each of the 3 mentioned here. But they mostly just sit around and help me look cool...

Bright is subjective , its not so much lumens but how the light is projected . The problem with olights and other more budget friendly lights is not that they are not bright but they have tend to have holes in their beams or do not focus adequately.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who said it was? What does my post have anything to do with officer fatalities? I’m confused.

I was just pointing out statistically its actually a very small probability you're going to be in a shooting and your chances of a night shooting are even smaller. You can really dice some hairs with this and the math, not saying its an argument against a light but basing your need on a light on the percentage of shootings or chances of being in a shooter makes it almost a non starter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom