jack daniels price hike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oh yeah, i like GD 12 yr also. forgot about that one. i agree on the four roses but its a little sweet for me.

Too Sweet? It's a high rye bourbon. Should be much more rye spice and heat than sweetness in there.

For those wondering, this makes a pretty good "If you like XXXXX, ttry YYYYYY" chart. Explore other whiskies with similar mash bill to what you enjoy. They will be different but still probably his whatever preference you have in the bourbon you like:

The Three Recipe’s or Mash Bill’s in bourbon
Traditional Bourbon Recipe (my term, not industry’s) – 70-80% corn –with the balance rye and some barley. Think of sweet and spicy, back of the tongue experience. Bourbon can be up to 100% corn, but corn becomes neutral during aging only keeping the sweetness, so a flavoring grain of rye is used, and of course the barley for converting those starches in to sugar, and that biscuity quality and hints of chocolate.
High Rye Bourbon Recipe – 18% + rye – dials back on the corn, keeping basically the same amount of barley as a Traditional Bourbon, but doubles up on the rye. Rye is a back of the tongue experience, and gives it that nice white pepper spice like a slice of rye bread. These bourbons will be less sweet and more spicey.
Wheat Bourbon Recipe – 70-80% corn – similar to Traditional, but replace the rye with wheat. Wheat allows the sweetness of the corn, and the sugars from the barrel to be more pronounced. Think “soft and sweet”, with a front of the tongue experience.

Code:
High Rye Bourbon Recipes
Old Grand Dad            Basil Hayden’s             Four Roses                   Bulleit
Very Old Barton          Kentucky Tavern         1792                           Old Forester

Wheat Bourbon Recipes
W.L. Weller                 Maker’s Mark                                        *Bernheim Wheat Whiskey is a
Old Fitzgerald              Van Winkle                                            straight wheat whiskey (at least
Rebel Yell                    Larceny                                               51% wheat) – it is not a wheat bourbon.

Traditional Bourbon Recipes – EVERYTHING ELSE including
Jim Beam                     Evan Williams                Booker’s                      Wild Turkey
Knob Creek                  Eagle Rare                    J.T.S. Brown                Woodford Reserve
Elijah Craig                  Buffalo Trace                Old Crow                      Heaven Hill

http://www.whiskeyprof.com/theres-only-3-general-bourbon-recipes-yall/

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jack was over priced to begin with, Jim Beam is better and cheaper if you want to slum. Bulliet is an excellent whiskey for the price, both their Rye and Bourbon.

JD relies more on marketing than quality. They can go collect dust on the shelf with Chivas Regal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom