Jerk String for decoys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never used a jerk string much duck huntin, but they totally make sense. The few times that I have used it, I ended up with an entangled retriever. How do you guys keep your dog out of the jerk string? I never know where the ducks are going to fall, so just putting it to one side or the other does not make sense. Without a doubt, a bird will land on the other side of it and she'll try to go through. I don't want her getting tangled up in the water.

This was from this morning's outing. Went out before work hoping to bag a few, stayed less than an hour after shooting light. There was a HEAVY fog out, and not sure if that caused them to fly later or what, but we came home empty handed. Got a call from the ranchman a while later and he said there were 40 or so greenheads on the slough I had been huntin, so apparently I didn't stay long enough.
[Broken External Image]

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never used a jerk string much duck huntin, but they totally make sense. The few times that I have used it, I ended up with an entangled retriever. How do you guys keep your dog out of the jerk string? I never know where the ducks are going to fall, so just putting it to one side or the other does not make sense. Without a doubt, a bird will land on the other side of it and she'll try to go through. I don't want her getting tangled up in the water.

This was from this morning's outing. Went out before work hoping to bag a few, stayed less than an hour after shooting light. There was a HEAVY fog out, and not sure if that caused them to fly later or what, but we came home empty handed. Got a call from the ranchman a while later and he said there were 40 or so greenheads on the slough I had been huntin, so apparently I didn't stay long enough.
[Broken External Image]

Well for me its simple - I cant afford a dog, so I don't have that issue. :thumbup3:

I think most folks keep the Jerk-rig (and Mojo decoys) out of the way of where the dog will be by putting them out where the ducks will see them and then putting pods of decoys back closer to where the hunters are in the shade so that the ducks see the "good bait" out where its easy to see and then attempt to land in close.

Latest posts

Top Bottom