Just completed Saiga conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. If anybody is hesitating doing a Saiga conversion, let me encourage you to do so!

I just got finished converting my 7.62 Saiga rifle back to its true AK glory. Very easy! I'm not a machinist or anything, but this little project took no more than a dremel, a drill, basic hand-tools, and a handful of parts.

Parts
1. Dinzag bullet guide kit
2. Modified Tapco G2 trigger group
3. Tapco Warsaw-Length buttstock (wish I'd gotten the KVAR buttstock)
4. Tapco SAW grip
5. Dinzag trigger guard (don't remember the exact manufacturer)

I think I'm going to eventually ditch the stock forearm and get a proper AK foregrip (probably the KVAR set). For now I just hit all of the furniture with some Krylon Fusion plastic paint in Ultra Flat OD Green.

Just need to find a PSO scope and I'll be set.

If any one is thinking about doing this, just jump into it, and mind your 922r parts counts!

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

daddy-o

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there some rivet holes not used, need filed or something? Did you do this or am I wrong. Have been thinking about one.
Thanks
daddy-o

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are four (two per side) open rivet holes above the pistol grip that need to be filled. I plugged the holes with these nylon plugs:
http://www.dinzagarms.com/misc_parts/aknyhp.html

[Broken External Image]

If you reuse your old PG, then there will be another hole inside the trigger guard to fill, but I used an after-market trigger guard that uses this hole for a screw.

There are several videos on Youtube that goes through the basic conversion process. Just remember that the Saiga rifle in stock form has 14 foreign parts, and in order to be compliant, you need to reduce that number to 10 or less. The easiest is to replace the hammer, trigger, disconnector, and buttstock with US-made parts. Putting a USA made pistol grip on it does not help, because the original sporterized Saiga didn't have one, but putting a foreign made Pistol grip on does add a foreign part.

Latest posts

Top Bottom