Just shot my 20yr old 30-06... OUCH!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airtractorfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm 33 and 20 years ago my parents bought me a 30-06 bolt action for my birthday. After 20 years, I just shot it for the first time, ever!

After 4 rounds... OUCH! this thing has some major recoil! I've shot my AK with it's wood stock, but this thing has some power.

Aside from just getting used to the recoil I'm going to need to pick up a recoil pad or something. My shoulder feels it now... I picked up some extra ammo, but this gun isn't one that I'll be out shooting 80 - 100 rounds per range trip....

Just had to share my experience...

May I politely suggest a muzzle brake to tame the recoil ? You can talk to a gunsmith about this option and the benefits of a muzzle brake.I recently installed a muzzle brake on my Marlin XS7 308 and it greatly reduced the recoil and makes the rifle recoil like a 223.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A bolt action rifle will always have more recoil than a semi-auto. Try shooting a Garand someday. You'll love it.

Check out the "shooters rest" that several companies are making these days. They are designed to hold the rifle and allow you to shoot with no recoil to the body.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Remington 700 ADL that my parents bought for me in 1993. The rifle has the synthetic stock and wore a cheap Bushnell scope until about 2003 when it gave the ghost up. I replaced it with nice Leupold. This rifle is really light and has one kell of a kick to it, probably why I check zero and call it good. In fact, I have not even been deer hunting in several years with it but have hunted some hogs.

The nice thing about the .30-06 is the ability to handload light to heavy bullets. The cartridge can take any game in North America and a lot of other places.

At least you did not say "safely take." With the big bears, the 30-06 is simply not enough gun, even with high-end loading. It is one of the best all around calibers.

There is an old cartridge that was wildcatted for years and finally produced by Weatherby that comes close to taking any North American game safely. It's the .338-06. Loaded with solids, it can do in a brown bear handily, and is great for moose. Loaded lighter, it is a dandy deer cartridge. Shoots .338 nearly as fast as the .338 Win Mag with less recoil and with ballstics nearly identical to 30-06 but with 200 to 225 grain bullets. You can convert a long action Savage 110 to this round quickly and easily, and for very low cost. Brass is simply 30-06 necked up to .338

A friend of mine forgot that messing with bear cubs is dumb. He was carrying a Garand, and emptied all 8 into a momma brown bear before he got her stopped at his feet. He is a very lucky man. I think he was hunting caribou with 150 grain silvertips.

Again, the 30-06 is a superb round, but it's not big enough for the big bears, and is marginal on moose. CB

airtractorfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, the 30-06 is a superb round, but it's not big enough for the big bears, and is marginal on moose. CB

Bullet type is also a major part of the equation in stopping big game. Some bullets are designed for early expansion and less penetration and others are designed for deep penetration before expansion. The correct bullet type from a 30-06 / 308 will stop a brown bear or moose with a well placed shot.

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=SXP308&cart=MzA4IFdpbmNoZXN0ZXI=

airtractorfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
my father in laws father was a bear guide in the yukon terr. he used a 303 british to kill many bears but 300 win would be the least IMO

I do agree that the 300 WIN MAG is a better choice for large game such as brown bears but the 06 or 308 can get the job done with the correct bullet type and shot placement.

If I were encountering a momma brown bear with cubs I'd rather have a shoulder fired Stinger Missile.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At least you did not say "safely take." With the big bears, the 30-06 is simply not enough gun, even with high-end loading. It is one of the best all around calibers.

There is an old cartridge that was wildcatted for years and finally produced by Weatherby that comes close to taking any North American game safely. It's the .338-06. Loaded with solids, it can do in a brown bear handily, and is great for moose. Loaded lighter, it is a dandy deer cartridge. Shoots .338 nearly as fast as the .338 Win Mag with less recoil and with ballstics nearly identical to 30-06 but with 200 to 225 grain bullets. You can convert a long action Savage 110 to this round quickly and easily, and for very low cost. Brass is simply 30-06 necked up to .338

A friend of mine forgot that messing with bear cubs is dumb. He was carrying a Garand, and emptied all 8 into a momma brown bear before he got her stopped at his feet. He is a very lucky man. I think he was hunting caribou with 150 grain silvertips.

CB you have a good point that .30-06 isn't a charge stopper. But for hunting an undisturbed animal a premium .30-06 is more than enough for anything in NA.

SKTK135

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny, I remember when the 30-06 was kind of the standard. No one thought it kicked that hard. Then the trend toward smaller lighter faster bullets came into play now people talk about the 30-06 like we once talked about belted mags. I had a Ruger M-77 back in the 80s chambered in 30-06 and I would go shoot 50 rounds off of the bench and think nothing of it. I always had a bruised shoulder the next day but it was expected. It was high power rifle. It's all about perspective I guess. Would also shoot across the course highpower rifle matches with a Springfield 03A3, that was fun. Good Times.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no doubt that with premium bullets well placed one can kill about anything with a 30-06. Many elephants have fallen in days gone by to much less powerful rounds in the hands of experts.

But, unless you have a professional hunter backing you up, it is advisable to have something that will stop a charge. .338 Win. Mag. is probably a nice minimum. I would prefer a .375 H&H as a minimum. That's the lightest gun allowed on the African "big five." Lots of brown bears have died from the .375 being applied in haste and with minimal shooting skills. Forest Service employees were for years required to carry one of these when in the Alaska bush country.

About Alaska PHs, you would be a while finding one who would take you brown bear hunting with a 30-06.

A friend of mine was charged by a polar bear. She killed it with one shot, in an eye, as it charged her. She was hunting caribou with that traditional Alaska Native favorite, the .270. She dodged the charge, while the newly dead bear kept running in the same direction for another 90 yards past where she had been standing. It fell in the snow, and so did she, on her butt. She said she shook for a long time. After that happened I never saw her without the necklace she made from one of the really huge claws. She died a couple of years ago, too young. Great artist, great hunter, and noted bush pilot.

Depending on a hunt going according to plan is a good way to move down the food chain. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom