Just wanted one trailer to put a welder on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The old saying around here is your just loading it up for someone to steal by putting a machine on a trailer. I built a skid for mine when I sold my welding truck. I just load it on my truck when I need it.
I considered a skid. Decided I’d rather gamble on it being stolen instead of having to load it and unload it. This way I can have everything I need on the trailer. It’ll be turn key for whatever crook can successfully obtain it. Really a pretty slim chance it would be stolen where I’m at. The day a thief learns how handy a bale bed is and how inconspicuous a feed truck is, then nothing is safe. I guess a thief probably can’t afford an arm bed. But, I’ve run into a thief or two that didn’t look like a poor fella just trying to get by.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went with the Miller Trailblazer 325. I’ve run several bobcats. I decided to step up a notch.
The Trailblazer line are nice machines. They have really stepped up their process spectrum immensely. When I was welding on the tracks they were looking at switching to Lincolns because they were more environmentally friendly. 🙄 They were building their windings on some kind of composite armature that couldn’t hold up to the continuous duty cycle we sometimes ran at. There were a few nights we didn’t stop burning wire for 10-15 hours straight or more. I’m definitely a Miller fan boi.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went with the Miller Trailblazer 325. I’ve run several bobcats. I decided to step up a notch.
I think that’s a better choice than any of the new rangers, Eagle all the way up to the 330mpx. Their Cross Country and Classic would be stellar but who wants to mortgage a welder.

I’d really like to find an older 305D, or a similar Miller - can’t remember the specific model but they made a simple higher output machine that had a simple board that didn’t go bad like the new ones do.

I’ll probably just end up with another red face 200 or short hood though, they’re hard to beat if you can stand to have a DC only machine.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The old saying around here is you’re just loading it up for someone to steal by putting a machine on a trailer. I built a skid for mine when I sold my welding truck. I just load it on my truck when I need it.
Yep, about the only kind of welder you ever see get stolen is the one that’s pre loaded for the thief. Lol

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Trailblazer line are nice machines. They have really stepped up their process spectrum immensely. When I was welding on the tracks they were looking at switching to Lincolns because they were more environmentally friendly. 🙄 They were building their windings on some kind of composite armature that couldn’t hold up to the continuous duty cycle we sometimes ran at. There were a few nights we didn’t stop burning wire for 10-15 hours straight or more. I’m definitely a Miller fan boi.
Sometime in the future I’ll add a suitcase mig

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think that’s a better choice than any of the new rangers, Eagle all the way up to the 330mpx. Their Cross Country and Classic would be stellar but who wants to mortgage a welder.

I’d really like to find an older 305D, or a similar Miller - can’t remember the specific model but they made a simple higher output machine that had a simple board that didn’t go bad like the new ones do.

I’ll probably just end up with another red face 200 or short hood though, they’re hard to beat if you can stand to have a DC only machine.
I hope it turns out good. Yeah those Lincoln 330mpx machines look really nice. However, Lincoln soured me on the screen. I’ve got a 210mp that the screen went out right after warranty expired. A screen costs half the price of a new machine. Every function is dependent on being able to read the screen. It looks like to me the mpx engine drives are set up the same. Not for me. I did order the wireless remote with this 325. We will see how often I use it.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I’ve burned a lot of rod with a Big Blu 400D. Dirt simple and hang all day. Best thing about welding work is if the hoods down and sparks are flying nobody bothers you for hours. 😀

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a Miller fan at all, years ago you couldn't get hired if you showed up with a Miller on your truck. They were notorious for busted tests on x-rays. There better now from what I hear but there also bad about parts being obsolete a few years after you buy there machines. I just Tig weld mostly now and I have never liked there Tig machines. I run a Lincoln 375 at work and Tig some very heavy aluminum 1/2" to 3/4" on some days. The other shops have Miller's inverter type machines I think there 300's but anyway there buying new ones every couple years and I have one Lincoln that's an '04 and the other is '12 model and there still chugging along. My pipeliner is a tricked out '82 model that was built by Bill's in Okc and is by far the smoothest machine I've ever ran with Low Hy or 5p.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, about the only kind of welder you ever see get stolen is the one that’s pre loaded for the thief. Lol

Helluva lot harder to load a 1500-2000 lb skid without a tractor than it is to hook on a trailer in my experience

Latest posts

Top Bottom