Trailer Tires.....again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. I've been thru many 'trailer rated' tires and have not found any that last over 3 years at best. Some only lasted 2 seasons.
Especially Carlisle and Goodyear. Absolute junk and dangerous. I don't buy the trailer rated talk from the manufacturers.
I have 6 year old Michelin tires on my Duramax and still going. Only blow outs I ever had were trailer rated tires that were properly inflated. Tire dealers tell me that they twist and turn. Well ok, but that's only 3 trips to the lake per year and most of that is hi way.
My trucks front end carries a diesel and it twist and turns all year long. Every day. Seems to me a good passenger tire would do well.
But my real reason for this post is to find the best brand that one would feel comfortable recommending. Or if they agree with me. 225/15's. Thanks.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor is a contractor and does building installs and builds and contracts for Tuff Shed.
He drives all over the state pulling his loaded 20 foot double axle trailer.

Almost every 2 weeks he was replacing tires. The tread worn smooth off or just constant blowouts.
I kid you not over 2 years of that and I told him get some automotive 235-75-15 tires.
I told him what kind Goodyear wrangler or Dextero MS tires from walmart.

Guess what those Dexteros he got have been on for more than a year and still look brand new.
No blow outs.

Yea the tires scrub when turning and I thought that is what was killing them but it is just junk tires.

I have 3 of his old ones here.
He tried many brands and said his trailer pulls so much better with the Dextero tires than it ever has.

Yea he tried heavier ply and it did not matter.

Good luck to you.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve pulled trailers for a living for 25 years, and tires aren’t the same as they used to be. I switched to Hankook 14 ply tires 20 years ago on the recommendation of a friend in the tire business and got over 100k out of the first set, but it’s gotten progressively worse with every set since. If I can get 25-30k out of a set now, I‘m proud of it.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor is a contractor and does building installs and builds and contracts for Tuff Shed.
He drives all over the state pulling his loaded 20 foot double axle trailer.

Almost every 2 weeks he was replacing tires. The tread worn smooth off or just constant blowouts.
I kid you not over 2 years of that and I told him get some automotive 235-75-15 tires.
I told him what kind Goodyear wrangler or Dextero MS tires from walmart.

Guess what those Dexteros he got have been on for more than a year and still look brand new.
No blow outs.

Yea the tires scrub when turning and I thought that is what was killing them but it is just junk tires.

I have 3 of his old ones here.
He tried many brands and said his trailer pulls so much better with the Dextero tires than it ever has.

Yea he tried heavier ply and it did not matter.

Good luck to you.
Always put car tires on my trailers never worn one out

Choprzrul

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put Goodyear Endurance (made in USA) trailer tires on my 16' cargo trailer early fall of 2020. It has now towed from CA to NE to OK and back again 3X without issue....and most of that is 80mph. They look fine now, but I may replace them out of caution before this fall's hunting trip.

Just my personal experience and $0.02 worth...

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put a set of the cheapie load range E “trailer” tires from Discount Tire on my 16’ utility trailer maybe 5 years ago, and they’re still doing great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom