Kayak Registration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do kayaks need to be registered? I read a document from the tax commission that kayaks and canoes are exempt if both ends are pointed and propelled by human power only. My kayak has a blunt stern, but I won’t have a motor on it. Academy said they thought it did, but I couldn’t get ahold of anyone at the state to confirm.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Do kayaks need to be registered? I read a document from the tax commission that kayaks and canoes are exempt if both ends are pointed and propelled by human power only. My kayak has a blunt stern, but I won’t have a motor on it. Academy said they thought it did, but I couldn’t get ahold of anyone at the state to confirm.
it's my understanding that OKC requires a permit for kayak and canoes on their close to home waters.

i have been on several okc waters and never been asked about it. but that's just me. i would likely refuse a fine since we have no country and all anyway.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You do not have to register a kayak or canoe within the state of Oklahoma with both ends pointed and propelled by human power only. One exception is a canoe or kayak with a square stern that is rated for an outboard motor. That watercraft needs registered and numbers applied.
It doesn’t matter if a motor is mounted or not.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told that the craft did not have to be registered if it did not have a gas powered engine or a trolling motor that is attached that has a certain amount of thrust. (I don't remember what that amount of thrust is)

Latest posts

Top Bottom