Keeping an XD cocked ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an XD 45 and am wondering if keeping it loaded and cocked will weaken the firing pin spring over time. It will be a nightstand house gun. I would rotate the magazines every 6 month or so to let those springs relax but the firing pin spring would be under tension for years. It would be taken to the range maybe once a year to fire then cleaned and put back in the nightstand. My Normal range gun is an XD 9 to keep in practice with cheaper ammo.

Thanks,
ARG

GlocksInMySocks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you're going to be fine. I don't think you can have one in the chamber uncocked with an XD because it's striker fired...

anyway, i'm sure someone will correct me, but keeping the spring compressed shouldn't affect the spring life. It's only the compression and release thousands upon thousands of times that wears out the spring. Again, this could be wrong, but i know keeping one in the chamber won't hurt your gun

ARG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I could dry fire it after unloading on a regular basis but someone else mentioned cycling of the spring is what weakens the tension. That would be easy to do.
Thanks again,
ARG

ARG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great, good info. Thanks for the replies.
I am new to forums and have a silly question.

I see many posts saying PM me or I will PM you. What in the heck does PM mean.

Thanks,
ARG

Latest posts

Top Bottom