Kel-Tec PMR-30 - The Real Deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've wanted a KT PMR-30 ever since Kel-Tec started making them. Ignoring the fact that they are almost impossible to acquire it's damn near impossible to figure out if they are the POS that some say or the be all and end all of 22 semi-auto pistols that others claim.

Just the other day I read a review by a Gun Blogger that said the one he and his team have had for over a year has run flawlessly. Shoots any type of 22 WMR they feed it; they've shot thousands of rounds thru it without cleaning it. They've done a torture test where they shot 200 rounds as fast as they could thru it without issue.

On the other hand Kel-Tec has an upgrade guarantee (or so I've been told) if you buy one so they must not feel it is ready for prime time yet. A friend commented that more than one major firearms manufacturer has tried over the years to make a reliable pistol that shoots 22 WMR without success. Another very knowledgeable friend says the real issue is the length of the 22 WMR compared to its diameter that creates feeding issues.

So what's the deal. Has Kel-Tec finally figured out how to make a 22 WMR semi-auto pistol that works - or not?

Inquiring minds want to know.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Werewolf said:
On the other hand Kel-Tec has an upgrade guarantee (or so I've been told) if you buy one...

An upgrade guarantee, what does that mean? You could trade it on a KT product of greater value?

If so might be a clever back door to getting your hands on that high cap shotgun of theirs that's impossible to find.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An upgrade guarantee, what does that mean?
Kel-Tec has stated (or the last time I looked) that they are still designing the bugs out of the thing. Those early adopters are supposed to be able to upgrade at no charge their early model PMR's to the latest and greatest version of the PMR-30 when Kel-Tec says they are there. Considering Kel-Tec's rep for customer service I kind'a believe it. Considering the problems the PMR has experienced to date it wouldn't be unheard of for KT to make good and fix all the less than good ones out there.

Which is kind'a why I asked. I'm seeing indications that they may be almost there. Figured someone on OSA would have better info than I've got.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
couple of guys here have given great reviews of them. If that weren't so darn expensive right now, they would be too cool.

pktrkt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just picked one up at a local shop for $349.00 + tax. Fired around 250 rounds so far and can say its fairly accurate and even with a full 30 round mag of ammo it's lighter than expected. I had to adjust the front sight as it was shooting about 4 inches left but after sighting it in its about a 2-3 in group at 25 yards. It seems to group differently with different ammo some as bad as 4 inch group to as small as 1.5 inches. So after averaging all the shots like I said about 2-3 inches. Seems to like Hornady v-max really well but I gotta say after the first 5 rounds you just can't keep from firing off 8-10 for good measure. Trigger pull is around 4 lbs as far as I can tell. Hopefully will try to "borrow" a chronograph to test the speed of different ammo but that will be a couple weeks away.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just picked one up at a local shop for $349.00 + tax. Fired around 250 rounds so far and can say its fairly accurate and even with a full 30 round mag of ammo it's lighter than expected. I had to adjust the front sight as it was shooting about 4 inches left but after sighting it in its about a 2-3 in group at 25 yards. It seems to group differently with different ammo some as bad as 4 inch group to as small as 1.5 inches. So after averaging all the shots like I said about 2-3 inches. Seems to like Hornady v-max really well but I gotta say after the first 5 rounds you just can't keep from firing off 8-10 for good measure. Trigger pull is around 4 lbs as far as I can tell. Hopefully will try to "borrow" a chronograph to test the speed of different ammo but that will be a couple weeks away.

Mind mentioning the name of the shop... I'd be willing to drive to McAlester if they've got one in stock or could get one.

pktrkt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the receipt.. Has Shop number and price. Sorry for bad pic.
i253.photobucket.com_albums_hh76_preecherr_cc0bc0a69cbece82a65f7806539309ba.jpg

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe that 'upgrade guarantee' means if they ever come out with a design improvement, they will modify or replace your weapon for free. If you have feed problems with any of their guns, you can send it back and they will repair it for free. Usually it only requires a good polish of the feed ramp.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI: Just a heads up to the retired military guys... I was in my local Walmart today near the ammo counter...when a military retiree was buying a box of .22WMR's. I mentioned that I'd heard KelTec had a good 22 WMR pistol. He said that was what he had, the PMR-30. He said the Exchange on Ft. Sill had gotten in 5 this week and that he & a buddy had both bought one for $304 each. I said that sounded pretty cheap for one of those since they were so popular. He repeated the $304 price. So if you are retired military and in the area, you might want to call and see if one is still in stock and confirm the price before heading that way. The man said his shot flawlessly. That he was extremely happy with it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom