Kel Tec Sub 2000 Gen 2 accurate .357mag power?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Greeting fellow OSA'ers been on a break as I got tired of the poor attitudes that this country seems steeped in since poor leadership causes the people to mourn. Too much flaming & my S4 suffered tragic accident but it never had a great antenna which after we put on new digitizer, led display, mid frame, the antenna worsened from the damage & it developed the common sound chip failure so now using an old S2.

Saw some goofy fella on youtube on this gun that said you get .357mag power (fps) out of 9x19mm Para/ Luger with the 10" barrel but either he was a terrible shot at 10" plates & or his ammo was junk or not using the heavy ammo I saw suggested (147gr?). Maybe partly due to the awful polymer sites which we would not leave on it. Gun would deserve much better red dot or similar AR type similar mil spec upgrade. Anyway, by our admitedly high standards, if it does not meet or exceed our minimum criteria of short barrel pistols shooting 2moa or better with our superior reloads in bad conditions @ 100 yds we will never purchase one to begin with. This being 2.5 times longer barreled than our longest barrel pistol (all compact pistols not SBR's) it better shoot far better than what I am seeing so far. So anyone seen any real world technical chrono fps and ft lbs energy data with good reloads with hard cast plated boolits w/ 95-100 % max loading @ 100, 150, 175, 200 yds in far tighter grouping yet than 10"?? If so please share the load data.
We have waited a while to take a more serious look at these in hopes more data would be published. Thought by now as these are not so new there would be more technical reviews on youtube but the best out there tend not to be distracted with vid production.
Lastly, anyone knowing the pros & cons of the Gen 1 as opposed to Gen 2 please chime in.

Sent via my Android phone.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's full of something, and it ain't honesty.

Last I heard, the Sub2000 isn't rated for even +P loads, much less .357Mag level loads.
Never said it was rated for such high loads. You fail to understand my approach. There is an increase in fps with barrel length to a point with nornal 9mm (any) loads. To the youtube poster was I referring who referred to the fps "like" speeds. I only mentioned normal loadings specifically with those percentages and never said I was stupid or suicidal enough to load out to that magmum level. One would need to read twice or more to get the context before firing off such poorly thought out replies. This is why I dont post here. Too many trolls who are not willing to go with all 6 of us to the range to shut them the heck up.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't give you load data, lost it in the last crash. I was loading 40sw for a Beretta 40 cal carbine and with 124 grain truncated cone moly coated black cast bullets and AA#7 I was able to get a significant increase in velocity without cratered primers or hard ejection. If I remember correctly I was getting an average of 400 fps over the standard loaded pistol rounds. I worked up loads using both AA#7 and AA#9 with the edge going to AA#7 by quite a bit. Standard small pistol primers in all loads. The moly coated bullets are half the battle getting there. I did have to increase the powder charge in standard loads to develop the max performance due to decreased friction.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Never said it was rated for such high loads. You fail to understand my approach. There is an increase in fps with barrel length to a point with nornal 9mm (any) loads. To the youtube poster was I referring who referred to the fps "like" speeds. I only mentioned normal loadings specifically with those percentages and never said I was stupid or suicidal enough to load out to that magmum level. One would need to read twice or more to get the context before firing off such poorly thought out replies. This is why I dont post here. Too many trolls who are not willing to go with all 6 of us to the range to shut them the heck up.

Your post was kinda rambly, sorry if I didn't understand what you wanted.

Were you asking if you can get 9mm out of a 10" (the Sub2k is 16" unless it's been SBR'd) barrel to approach .357 ballistics out of a handgun?

If so, that wasn't clear in your post. I took it to mean you were looking to have 9mm ballistics similar to .357 Mag, and without clarification, I assumed similar barrel lengths, in which case you'd have to be loading the stubby 9mm case to foolish levels to get there; well, to try - as you'll never get close due to the capacity differences in the cases.

The .40 S&W Sub2k of a friend's that I shot was noticeably more accurate than the pistols we were shooting that day. Didn't shoot to 100yds, much less farther, but given the increase in accuracy at 20yds, I would say that even with the horrible sights it would be reasonably accurate at 100yds.

So, since I obviously missed it...

What is your "approach" and what is your goal?

If someone has to read your posts twice or more to understand, maybe it's not the reader's problem.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apologies, my occupational requirement hazard of engineering extreme briefness in writing called Abbreviated Technical English eeks out too often. In addition to the whiz banger migraine I had during posting contributed to my curtness.

We have moved on from this carbine as too many posters elsewhere widely consider this too weak a platform to do the even modest workups and accurizing to achieve where we want to get which is easily done in 2 other cartridges. So if interested see my thread on the 9x25 Dillon but its likely going to be 357 SIG eventually worked up to about 110-115% sammi near but about 15% below proof testing if none of all safety monitoring indicators are not breached due to avalibity of ported/ match barrels, reamers & dies. For about the same cost as a Kel Tec sub 2k or less going with a sort of extended barrel drop in route basically I get much more portable & legal hunting with in this state due to 4" handgun barrel minumum as my compact 10mm Tanflugio EAA Witness Poly Compact is 3.7" I think, with a 6" twin ported barrel in either of these powerful great necked down cartridges that will allow shooting greater distance with quicker follow up than 10mm auto stock barrel at far reduced recoil with slow powders taking full advantage of compensator port efficiency. Additionally if 9x25 we have 10mm auto brass to neck down and if .357 SIG we have thousands of mixed inboor range trap clean out bulk we got last year with no .40 S&W (not a fan) to reload for that we can easily neck down and both now use .355" dia 9mm cheap great boolits we have about 960 JK hard cast plated of already that perform stellar for us.

AMT7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't give you load data, lost it in the last crash. I was loading 40sw for a Beretta 40 cal carbine and with 124 grain truncated cone moly coated black cast bullets and AA#7 I was able to get a significant increase in velocity without cratered primers or hard ejection. If I remember correctly I was getting an average of 400 fps over the standard loaded pistol rounds. I worked up loads using both AA#7 and AA#9 with the edge going to AA#7 by quite a bit. Standard small pistol primers in all loads. The moly coated bullets are half the battle getting there. I did have to increase the powder charge in standard loads to develop the max performance due to decreased friction.
Well thanks Blitzfike, good to know. Impressive (seemingly) @ 400 fps over recommended max but the specs for .40 IMHO are down rated a bit to far origionally from its parent 10mm auto anyway. 10mm is large pistol primer which makes a bit of difference in potential. We still keep notebook load work up old school records in trusty black Bic ink as yes it so easy to loose electronic ones but with free cloud auto backup apps now its harder.

We are trying to avoid .40 S&W for several reasons one being its unsuitability for hunting deer & bad reputation for recoil on my injured aging body and main one we do not own dies or any other guns in it.
Wish I was familiar with those powders but am limited to research and some practical with Alliant e3 range report posted here & few other forums.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at the 400 corbon, it is basically a 45acp necked down to 40 cal. I have a conversion for one of my 1911's and it gives impressive performance with only a barrel change. Same recoil spring and same mag. I shoot 10mm as well and they are pretty close in performance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom