Knifes for self defense ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are engaging a bg with your knife you are already in deep kimchi, If you have knife skills you should already have open hand skills. Would a court or DA look at you as the bad guy for using a knife aginst empty handed bg?

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a knife for self defence, if you are theatened or in fear for your life, a knife is a good choice, if you in a fight and you worried about what would my lawyer advise? your going to get hurt, if someone attacks you, you have the right to defend yourself, if you are killed you cant hire a lawyer to defend yourself in court.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ANYTIME you introduce a knife into a confrontation, you have introduced a deadly weapon and the courts will view it this way.

The idea of biomechanical cutting i.e. cutting connective tissue or muscles in order to disable a limb, is a fallacy.

An even bigger fallacy is the idea that cutting is somehow going to be viewed as self defense but stabbing is not.

You will be judged on the merits of your actions not the medium you chose in order to disable your adversary and don't kid yourself into believing that cutting a forearm is going to be viewed as kosher if stabbing in the heart wasn't.

Michael Brown
Puh-raise the Lord! And, Amen!

If you're looking at "BMC," you should also be working on your disabling shots to the big toe, thumb, and the BG's weapon...

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
....... Would a court or DA look at you as the bad guy for using a knife aginst empty handed bg?

Speaking as an ex-DA, probably.

You know, though, that the view that the criminal prosecution should proceed generally has to make it through the cops first. At least in the jurisdictions I worked, the cops applied a healthy dose of common sense in such things.

If its one-on-one, no big size disparity, no big age disparity, no big differences in criminal histories, no drugs involved, no gangs involved, you will likely get charged. See, then it looks like you chose to use deadly force where it was not required.

OTOH, the DA knows that a 300 pound outlaw biker is not the same as a 90 year old Mother Teresa in a wheel chair. If she uses a knife on the 300 pound outlaw biker, and says he was going to rape her, she may get a pass. The DA won't want to argue that one to a jury, you know.

jej

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a knife for self defence, if you are theatened or in fear for your life, a knife is a good choice, if you in a fight and you worried about what would my lawyer advise? your going to get hurt, if someone attacks you, you have the right to defend yourself, if you are killed you cant hire a lawyer to defend yourself in court.

I would rather be tried by 12 than buried by 6. You, Sir, are on the money with your philosophy!

Cheepshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
By careful what knife you carry at the time. Read the statue below:

Oklahoma Statutes
Title 21. Crimes and Punishments
Chapter 53 - Manufacture, Sale, and Wearing of Weapons
Section 1272 - Carrying Weapons - Exceptions

UNLAWFUL CARRY

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:

1. The proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes;

2. The carrying or use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by statute or authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act;

3. The carrying, possession and use of any weapon by a peace officer or other person authorized by law to carry a weapon in the performance of official duties and in compliance with the rules of the employing agency; or

4. The carrying and use of firearms and other weapons provided in this subsection when used for the purpose of living history reenactment. For purposes of this paragraph, "living history reenactment" means depiction of historical characters, scenes, historical life or events for entertainment, education, or historical documentation through the wearing or use of period, historical, antique or vintage clothing, accessories, firearms, weapons, and other implements of the historical period.

B. Any person convicted of violating the foregoing provision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable as provided in Section 1276 of this title.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2. The carrying or use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by statute or authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act;

This is the key part right here.

I carry a Sypderco Endura Wave every day. I use it to open mail and cut up fruit mostly, and I hope to never have to use it for the main reason for which it is carried.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Word.

Michael Brown

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, this is just my opinion. In a self-defense situation, a knife is better than nothing. But not by much. It is a tool. It's better use is after you shoot someone, you can more easily bleed them out if you have a good knife on you.

:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom