Knocking our armed forces politically - then there is this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having been involved in new minor systems procurements (less than a billion initial cost), I have seen up close and personal how initial support equipment is planned and executed:
1. Oh by the way, we need some support equipment.
2. We're over budget; how much of the existing SE can we use?
3. So what if it's all in use elsewhere already. That's somebody else's problem.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3. So what if it's all in use elsewhere already. That's somebody else's problem.
I wish! All the initial Support Equipment (SE), tech data, spares are paid for with the Code 3080 procurement money authorized by Congress, and many new systems programs "solve" their budget shortfalls by identifying "common in use" tools that aren't really suitable. That's how you wind up with things like a wheel wrench that is awkward and dangerous to use.
Or a Tactical Radar with an antenna sawed in half so it can store in a standard Army S-12 shelter already approved for carrying on a C-130. (This less-than optimal solution solved both a budget shortfall and a two-year program delay because the Tulsa, OK shelter contractor defaulted on his contract).

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way cool, I've been on a lot of C5A tire changes. Off topic, I really hated summer in Altus when the wind was outta the south.
Seems nothing has changed. My dad (from Oklahoma) hated Altus too. He got himself transferred to Labrador, Canada. In the winter time! I still have his parka. Goose Bay he liked, they got to fly out and fish remote lakes a lot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom