Layoff's after the election

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are bad employees everywhere, not just union. Yes there are many bad things about SOME unions, not all.

My problem with unions is they defend, protect and promote the bad apples. While in the private sector those bad apples can be removed so there is not a propensity for others to follow that direction.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My problem with unions is they defend, protect and promote the bad apples. While in the private sector those bad apples can be removed so there is not a propensity for others to follow that direction.

There is a misconception out there that bad union employees cannot be fired.

False!

The only difference between firing a union vs non-union is simply evidence and follow-through.

The union does protect people pre-firing if there is no evidence of need for dismissal.

The non-union employees protection is usually post-firing; Attorney, Labor office, etc.

Now here's the issue. If a company has just cause to fire (outside of economic layoff) then all they have to do is follow through. Thats the company's responsibility not the unions and THAT is where bad employees fail to be dismissed.

The union CANNOT save a job of an employee that needs to be fired for just cause any more than non-union, they just make the company show just cause. The company I work for fails MANY times on following through and its them that lets bad employees stay on the payroll.

Also, in most unions, promotions are based on skill and its still a union job determined by management.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are great workers everywhere and in all positions, however as previously mentioned the Unions, by the definition of their name, circle and protect the low hanging fruit that needs to be knocked off for the tree to survive. However, that tends to not happen and the tree suffered for it.

With regards to American Airlines their problems are vast, but let's look at the recent areas of concern. The Pilots won't fly and need concessions, the stewardess' aren't happy and need concessions, the mechanics won't work and need concessions.... the result is American threatens to pull out of Tulsa to consolidate to save money to make those concessions for the different groups.

Tulsa, not wanting to lose jobs, gives tax concessions to American resulting in my tax dollar doing more and the city suffers. The city tries to pass this horrible Vision 2 to raise money to try and build up the city to draw new business to offset the lost tax revenue from conceding to American Airlines who is conceding to it's work force. The average tax payers looses again so the Union Labor is happy.

See a pattern here? To have the union back a candidate who all good people know isn't right for the country and then call it a victory because that candidate will pander to them is sad. Who pays? Everyone else.

I'm tired of paying. I'm a small business who's pays 65% of every dollar we make to fund a failing government who gives concessions to those who are either too lazy or too stupid to do for themselves. I proceed forward with the vision to providing for and taking care of my family.

Then I stop and look back the hundred of thousands of dollars paid each year to take care of those who are just looking for their check. It's sickening.

Don't pull Christianity into this. Jesus said to help those less fortunate, give to those who have less and humble yourself, but warn them to turn from their sinful ways. There in lies the problem, people don't want to be told they are wrong.

"You reap what you sow" would mean those who are too lazy to do for them selves should be on the charity of others, the government isn't a charity.

I'm sorry but through out this history of Union labor, I'm hard press to find a situation where the modern union ensures quality workers for the employer and quality jobs for the workers. Instead it seems more like grown adults wining their feelings are hurt and business' being ruined for standing up.

There are good people everywhere but, you can't escape guilt by association or accessory after the fact.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There are great workers everywhere and in all positions, however as previously mentioned the Unions, by the definition of their name, circle and protect the low hanging fruit that needs to be knocked off for the tree to survive. However, that tends to not happen and the tree suffered for it.

With regards to American Airlines their problems are vast, but let's look at the recent areas of concern. The Pilots won't fly and need concessions, the stewardess' aren't happy and need concessions, the mechanics won't work and need concessions.... the result is American threatens to pull out of Tulsa to consolidate to save money to make those concessions for the different groups.

Tulsa, not wanting to lose jobs, gives tax concessions to American resulting in my tax dollar doing more and the city suffers. The city tries to pass this horrible Vision 2 to raise money to try and build up the city to draw new business to offset the lost tax revenue from conceding to American Airlines who is conceding to it's work force. The average tax payers looses again so the Union Labor is happy.

See a pattern here? To have the union back a candidate who all good people know isn't right for the country and then call it a victory because that candidate will pander to them is sad. Who pays? Everyone else.

I'm tired of paying. I'm a small business who's pays 65% of every dollar we make to fund a failing government who gives concessions to those who are either too lazy or too stupid to do for themselves. I proceed forward with the vision to providing for and taking care of my family.

Then I stop and look back the hundred of thousands of dollars paid each year to take care of those who are just looking for their check. It's sickening.

Don't pull Christianity into this. Jesus said to help those less fortunate, give to those who have less and humble yourself, but warn them to turn from their sinful ways. There in lies the problem, people don't want to be told they are wrong.

"You reap what you sow" would mean those who are too lazy to do for them selves should be on the charity of others, the government isn't a charity.

I'm sorry but through out this history of Union labor, I'm hard press to find a situation where the modern union ensures quality workers for the employer and quality jobs for the workers. Instead it seems more like grown adults wining their eelings are hurt and business' being ruined for standing up.

There are good people everywhere but, you can't escape guilt by association or accessory after the fact.

Jesse, this is a very shallow way to see things. Not everything at AA is as they appear. Never assume when ignorant of the full scope.

I will absolutely pull the Christian card. First because that is your ultimate emulation to juxtapose your statements.

2nd, your original statement of non caring for people's life was absolutely unChristlike and did not specify between honest hard working people and deadbeats.

Latest posts

Top Bottom