Layoff's after the election

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seeing the picture here... If you are union person, hate me all you like, but unions pander to a workforce who feel they can underperform and should be rewarded with not only employment but also with increase in pay.

My .03 and I know very good many on here are union, you might be a great person, but I don't care for your union.

I have seen the underperformers and every single night at work 2 crews have to pick up the slack of 4 crews because they all feel that because they have been in the union longer that they are better than most of the jobs that are assigned. I hate unions and everything they stand for, and I hate the fact that I am doing 3x the work just because others think they no longer have to work and can just sit there and collect a paycheck.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When unions have their meetings to people speak up about the other "brothers" not pulling their weight? This seems a lot like teachers, they ***** and moan about things but none of them have to balls to go to the prinicipal/super...

Jim Corrigan

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, the company I work for takes advantage of me as a worker every chance they get. I see how many dollars each order is worth, and I see how much we spend on purchasing. I do the hard labor, the people on top get the money. If I was a union worker, I know I would actually be able to ensure my rights like getting state mandated breaks, options of overtime and whatnot. I work in dangerous conditions without the proper safety equipment. I am constantly lied to when I bring up the possibility of a raise, while I see our sales staff gets hooked up with perk after perk for doing jack squat. There's not a single person at my job that I could switch positions with and not be able to perform their duties.

Businesses and corporations DO take advantage of workers, regardless of if you are wearing rose colored glasses or not. Do unions operate to try and make the best deal they can? Hell yeah. What's so wrong about that, ain't it the American Dream? Sounds to me like some of you want a business world where workers have absolutely no say in their own employment. That's kinda like....COMMUNISMS?!~?!?!

(Oh, and before anyone says "if your job sucks, quit!" it's just not always that easy. If your business is being attacked by the government, revolt. See?)

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anytime anyone has "spoken out" they have been forced out, we have gone to the management before and been told to shut up and color, even when grievences are filed against management 9 times out of 10 they are swept under the rug. It gets to the point that you just deal with it because where else are you going to go? Especially when you have a very specific skill set that is unusable anywhere else.

Jim Corrigan

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Anytime anyone has "spoken out" they have been forced out, we have gone to the management before and been told to shut up and color, even when grievences are filed against management 9 times out of 10 they are swept under the rug. It gets to the point that you just deal with it because where else are you going to go? Especially when you have a very specific skill set that is unusable anywhere else.

I fail to see how a non-union workplace would have any different outcome. That particular issue doesn't seem to deal with unions in particular, just a hierarchy in the workplace. I mean hell, it seems like working for someone else you're always going to get the crap end of the stick, but then I hear people complain about working for themselves, too, so I guess it's just the human condition.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the company I work for takes advantage of me as a worker every chance they get. I see how many dollars each order is worth, and I see how much we spend on purchasing. I do the hard labor, the people on top get the money. If I was a union worker, I know I would actually be able to ensure my rights like getting state mandated breaks, options of overtime and whatnot. I work in dangerous conditions without the proper safety equipment. I am constantly lied to when I bring up the possibility of a raise, while I see our sales staff gets hooked up with perk after perk for doing jack squat. There's not a single person at my job that I could switch positions with and not be able to perform their duties.

Have you activated the Bat signal?

Sounds like you need to make a call to OSHA and the State Labor board instead of complaining. I would suggest you have your facts documented.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I work in a large oil refinery that is union. I was a member for many years until the union said " We all need to support Obama" I said count me out and I quit the union. I see the same thing some of you talked about at your work. We have coworkers that have retired but,stay on the payroll . We get tired of that too. Management in the past has fired people for various reasons and the union has gotten some of them back. If management's case is bs or they don't have their ducks in a row ,they lose. Unions are required by law to represent everybody covered by the contract member or not. Some on here have complained about safety at their job. I work in a very dangerous industry. There have been many refinery fires in the news this year. We had a very good worker killed and two good workers fired because of a guy that they should have never hired.Unions over the years have made the workplace a lot safer by striking over safety issues at other sites. I can tell you this ,the refinery I work in is the safest,most productive,and most profitable of the 14 Phillips 66 refineries in the country. I'm glad I work at a union site but,I don't support their politics. I suggest this to people that hate unions. Don't buy union made goods like gasoline,motor oils,LNG,LPG,diesel,or heating oils.

Latest posts

Top Bottom