Learn me sumptin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What style of AR rifle sling do you guys (and gals) prefer? When I was in the regular army back in the 90's, we were only trained and issued the standard 2-point web sling and so that is all I know and use. Getting my đź’© together for the impending doom of America I was curious if there was a better mouse trap.
Which is better for lugging long distance with a BOB after the EMP takes out my main transportation? I've seen the vids of the hi-speed lo-drag crew with their single-points doing their run n gun tactics, but I'm thinking more of full gear just making it back to AO. The three points just look like they'd be like BDU's and camouflage and get hung up on everything, but again, I'm ignorant on anything besides GI web. So school me on the benefits of not going old school and getting with the program.

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recently I bought three two point slings:

a made in china primary arms clearance padded sling---- $7
a Blue force Gear Vickers padded sling- $67
Ferro Concepts Slingster- $60

I found the slingster to be superior to the vickers sling, not only in materials and construction, but also in design. Its also cheaper. The Primary arms sling wasnt bad, needs new hardware if I'm using it on a rifle. The BFG sling isnt bad, but I'm not uber excited about it.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_2916.jpeg

All three, BFG, Primary arms, Ferro, looking left to right.
IMG_2915.jpeg

BFG padding. Reasonably plush, but the sling strap itself does not run through it. It is just seen into the padded part.
IMG_2913.jpeg

Meh end finishing on the BFG, notice the pattern is just printed or something onto the trap, and doesn’t cover the edges or cut parts. Looks cheap to me.

IMG_2912.jpeg

Ferro slingster padding. Thinner, still sufficient. Strap goes through the pad. Finish looks better.
IMG_2914.jpeg

Finishing on the cut edges and sides is better, like the dye is all the way through or something. There’s a word for it, I forget what it is though.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm no expert at AR's fyi, but I truely like the single point slings on my AR's. If adjusted right it is always at the ready, easily can drop if both hands are required for task. No dismounting off shoulder to bring around to firing position, simply grab hand grip and bring it up. It hangs at the ready on preferred side.
Don't know how many times I missed varmits that I spooked walking through the woods. Where I had mear seconds to shoot and I was fiddling with the AR sling trying to get it off my shoulder and around in firing position. Single point sling cut those instances by more than half. So my assumption is it would benefit in battle also.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_2910.jpeg

BFG sling adjuster. Not bad, I like how it is unobtrusive.
IMG_2909.jpeg

Ferro sling adjuster. I like the design, a little easier than the BFG. If you’re one of those guys who doesn’t want your rifle marked or scratched, just know that this adjuster is metal and will scratch your finish.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my highly opinionated opinion:

One points are cool, and good for a few things: retention, stabilizing SMG's or short rifles without stocks, and hitting yourself in the nuts. For carrying long distances I am not a huge fan. They don't stabilize rifles or anything you'll put into your shoulder/etc.

two points are the bees knees for a rifle. They are good for shooting, long distance carrying, doing things with your hands with your rifle handy, and work well for stabilizing the rifle with the sling and your body workin together. They also work well to stabilize your rifle in a tripod if you have an appropriate setup.

three point slings suck. They always get tangled, always get in the way, and don't have the perks or one or two points.

I like GI style (I call this a parade sling?) with the adjustable buckle, and the adjustable 2 points like the Slingster and the Vickers. They both kinda work the same, the GI is a little more clumsy to adjust while wearing, and is typically much much shorter.

I like using rotation restricted QD joints, and paracord attachment. HK hooks, USGI style hooks, etc all make lots of noise, as there's a lot of metal on metal jingling. Not only do I find this annoying, its not very "tactical".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom