Learn me sumptin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do the single points work with ruck on? It seems that where the strap wraps around the shoulder blade would be occupied by ruck/back-pack... unless I'm not thinking straight.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do the single points work with ruck on? It seems that where the strap wraps around the shoulder blade would be occupied by ruck/back-pack... unless I'm not thinking straight.
It just rides higher, and you put it on after you put your pack on. Sadly, you then have to get your rifle off/untangled before you can drop your pack. But, unless you keep your rifle strapped to your pack, you have to deal with this with any sling setup.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
What style of AR rifle sling do you guys (and gals) prefer? When I was in the regular army back in the 90's, we were only trained and issued the standard 2-point web sling and so that is all I know and use. Getting my 💩 together for the impending doom of America I was curious if there was a better mouse trap.
Which is better for lugging long distance with a BOB after the EMP takes out my main transportation? I've seen the vids of the hi-speed lo-drag crew with their single-points doing their run n gun tactics, but I'm thinking more of full gear just making it back to AO. The three points just look like they'd be like BDU's and camouflage and get hung up on everything, but again, I'm ignorant on anything besides GI web. So school me on the benefits of not going old school and getting with the program.
All mine except a couple are now 2-point adjustable slings - several are VTAC with the ruck strap buckle, one is a BFG Vickers, and the rest are made from tubular nylon and fastex or leftover webbing and fastex like we used to make. I have an old 3point from early 2000s and a tubular nylon 3point. They work well but are less manageable WRT taking on and off. They're GTG regardless but are more conducive to keeping your gun on you all the time.

Single point slings were neato for about a week 12 yrs ago. They are terrible for working in, weight distro, and moving the gun around on your body and generally suck.

I'll post up pics but if you have some fastex and tubular nylon, you can make a sling that will probably outdo most of the fanciness everyone's buying for $$.

If you're gonna buy a sling, I'd recommend a basic VTAC for $45 from Brownells or Midway. You might find them on sale somewhere too.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like the VTAC, but my dog ate it years ago so I rigged this with the USGI sling, some webbing and a quick release buckle. Does the same thing for about $40 less.
IMG_20231016_195230.jpg

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy who is a retired Leatherneck ACQ O (who also gets 100% disability compensation from the VA) said y'all call it a 5qt strap. kinda funny that it's a GP strap but we name it after the canteens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom