Leather sheath bleeding help?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As the former owners of Black Hills Leather, save yourself a lot of aggravation and have a local leather maker make you a new one. A probable cause for the dye leaching? A lot of knife makers have leather makers form their sheafs for them. Some Makers especially along the border use cheap leather and dye their product with "Liquid Shoe Polish"! Buyer Beware.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As the former owners of Black Hills Leather, save yourself a lot of aggravation and have a local leather maker make you a new one. A probable cause for the dye leaching? A lot of knife makers have leather makers form their sheafs for them. Some Makers especially along the border use cheap leather and dye their product with "Liquid Shoe Polish"! Buyer Beware.
I think this is the case. The knife maker was out of Texas. I'm happy with the knives, but haven't carried them due to the sheaths.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well there’s several ways to skin this cat…
The cheapest way I think is for you to keep rubbing that sucker until it don’t bleed. It can’t bleed forever. Some saddle soap might help as mentioned earlier. I’d rub it til it don’t bleed, then I’d put it in the sun to bring some more oil/dye/finish out and rub that off. I know this contradicts a post earlier saying to keep it out of direct sunlight. I would agree IF you had a light colored sheath that we didn’t want to darken. If you need/want a new sheath built my wife can probably put you on “the list”. I’m way too busy right now. You can pm if you want to explore getting a new one built. I’m positive though that if you keep on wiping and getting that thing hot and damp it’ll come clean. Then you can treat it with a lil condition if it’s necessary. Anyhow those are my opinions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom