Leather working

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny old dudes and their ED. Thanks for the tips on the leather. Right now I'm just using whatever heavy leather was in a hobby lobby bag. I need to get to tandys it sounds like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Tandys will have what you need and can offer some advice. I paid $200+ for a side of oil tanned buffalo but it'stoo supple for what your doing. Makes some pretty possible bags though.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you head to Tandy's and do any kind of work that will qualify you for an "elite" membership, I would look into it!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sweet streak ;) nothing wrong with that . I'll take her if it ain't working for ya.

Eance

I appreciate that but I couldn't not honestly in good faith let that thing go. It is to tight and soft (get your jokes in boys). I can't get the mags to pull out when on a belt. My fear on that is that someone would need it in a life or death situation and couldn't get the mag out because I built it poorly. But for real thank you for the compliments

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gave it another go tonight on my wife's carry pistol. I have a tendancy to steal it from time to time for pocket carry, now I have a holster for it!

lc9 holster.jpg

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After a little more work. I need to figure out the burnishing/ edging process still and how to seal the leather once done. I can say though that If I could do a cartwheel, I wouldn't have to worry about the gun coming loose. Yet it is still a very fast holster.

lc9 holster 2.jpg

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not bad, brother! What kind of leather are you using? The trick to burnishing is starting with a fairly smooth surface (I sand with 220 or finer) and then you can burnish either with a tool, a bone burnisher, or even a rag. That leather looks pretty supple (looking at the pics on my phone) so it might not burnish as nicely as you'd like, but you can always use some gum tragacanth (also at Tandy) to get that shiny smooth edge. Any way you do it, it will require a bit of heat/friction that definitely is a skill in its own. I'm sending you another PM...

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not bad, brother! What kind of leather are you using? The trick to burnishing is starting with a fairly smooth surface (I sand with 220 or finer) and then you can burnish either with a tool, a bone burnisher, or even a rag. That leather looks pretty supple (looking at the pics on my phone) so it might not burnish as nicely as you'd like, but you can always use some gum tragacanth (also at Tandy) to get that shiny smooth edge. Any way you do it, it will require a bit of heat/friction that definitely is a skill in its own. I'm sending you another PM...

for the time being I am still using up the bag of leather remenants that hobby lobby sells. It cost me $7 to play with until I get something better. I am heading out to my dads house this evening to pick up my kiddo from grandpa and grandma, while I am there I think I am gonna fire up his lathe and make myself a dow rod burnisher that I can chuck up in the drill press. I have been sanding the edges with some worn 80 grit on a drum sander but I will be looking for the 220. I have plans on getting down to tandy's pretty soon to upgrade some of my tools and materials. This is getting easier and I can actually see myself maybe being okay at this some day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom