Lee Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer *** NEW ***

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet. Looking forward to the review Dennis!

I'm also wondering how it will handle the trimmings? Hopefully they'll just fall out the bottom and not get all clogged up anywhere in the die or in the shell holder or ram.

From looking at the cut-away drawing on the link you provided, it appears the cuttings will probably fall into the case, and will need to be dumped out. I'm think a roll in the media seperator would take care of that.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Ya the only thing is it appears you have to buy a special holding die for each caliber, but I'm considering the possibility of rigging a motor to it and making QUICK work of case trimming!

You might even be able to put a motorized setup like that on a progressive and really go to town?

I'm wondering if there'd be a way of using the Lee (or other) universal deprime die to do this with. I know individual would be better, and I would for any I'd be doing a lot of, but it would be nice not to have to buy them for every odd ball cartridge you wanted to trim.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While this is neat, if you're going to motorize it, it's just as simple and even cheaper (especially for multiple calibers) to use a drill press and the current manual Lee trimmer system, just chuck the case holder (the "locking stud" is hex and made to go in a drill), and clamp the cutter in your drillpress vice.

The cost of the current trimming system, per caliber is around $5 locally.

arenathlete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dongs has these in stock but very few caliber specific quick trim die bodies
I haven't used mine yet but I'm sure it's better than my rcbs trim pro...still hard to quit using the lee case trimmer on a drill though

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NICE! I've been needing a new trimmer and this looks pretty slick. Backordered one from midway since it was a couple bucks cheaper, but it said backordered til June. Hopefully this'll work in my hand press until I can afford to upgrade to a progressive.

Last edited:

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there'd be a way of using the Lee (or other) universal deprime die to do this with. I know individual would be better, and I would for any I'd be doing a lot of, but it would be nice not to have to buy them for every odd ball cartridge you wanted to trim.

If I'm thinking correctly, I don't think this would work because the idea of the special die is to actually hold the case in place and allow for a tight fight to keep it from rotating with the cutting face. The new Lee system looks to really just be similar to the concept behind the old L.E. Wilson trimmers in that regard where you have a case holder that keeps the case in perfect alignment while the cutting face does it's job. The Lee tool would be much faster though because theoretically you just use the same press type action to insert the case into the die as you would for sizing, etc...

While this is neat, if you're going to motorize it, it's just as simple and even cheaper (especially for multiple calibers) to use a drill press and the current manual Lee trimmer system, just chuck the case holder (the "locking stud" is hex and made to go in a drill), and clamp the cutter in your drillpress vice.

The cost of the current trimming system, per caliber is around $5 locally.

I think it might be more than just neat Mike. While you're right, it is possible to do it with the manual Lee trimmer system, I think this will be much much faster, definitely more precise as it uses the case to hold instead of just clamping the rim and base tight, and opens the door to using it as a stage in a progressive press with the motor just turning all the time. Using the current manual Lee trimmer system like you mentioned still requires a twist motion to clamp the locking stud and it's a bit clumsy. I think with this new system, once you buy the cutter, you just get a case holding die for every caliber you shoot (or at least the ones you shoot a bunch of) and you're off to the races. Being able to possibly incorporate it into a progressive setup would be the cat's meow. :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I got the cutter yesterday, and must have had a brain fart, as I didn't realize the cutter and the trim die were two different items. My main interest is in .223, and that size is not listed in the website.
Sent them an email and they responded with a part #.
I'll get one ordered today.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I got the cutter yesterday, and must have had a brain fart, as I didn't realize the cutter and the trim die were two different items. My main interest is in .223, and that size is not listed in the website.
Sent them an email and they responded with a part #.
I'll get one ordered today.

Looking forward to the review and your opinions when it arrives Dennis. I'm especially interested in whether or not there is a successful way to rig it to be motorized.

The instructions and a youtube video I saw showed that the cutting head and chamfer blades are spring loaded and the guy said that you kind of apply more pressure as you turn to get it to work right. He said if you go to fast, then it will mess up the case mouth, I'm assuming because there is no pilot and if the cutting edge grabs or you get too agressive, it will just bend the brass? I think that even if you have to just rig the top solid so that it doesn't travel vertically, you could still get a feel for pressure as you lower the press ram and make it work correctly though.

The other thing I want to know is if the case holding dies are truly a precision fit like the L.E. Wilson ones where it indexes on the shoulder and is a snug fit. If there is play in between the case sides and die wall, then it's not going to be as precise as I am hoping perhaps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom