Legal to practice shooting your bow in the neighborhood?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My backyard has a limited range to practice in, but there is about a 5 acre field between houses in my neighborhood that would be great. Behind the target a thousand or so yards away would be a chain link fence to a golf course. Would I be ok practicing out there? Or run the risk of getting a ticket somehow.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as I know there is no law against this. I have been shooting bows in the city into targets for years and nobody has ever questioned me or said a word about it.

I'm sure others that know the letter of the law will chime in though..

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many cities actually have an ordinance that does not allow shooting within city limits. A lot of people do it and don't get ticketed but it's still a possibility. You just need to check for the city that you live in.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot in my backyard all the time. I put my bag on the back fence and go to town. I don't have anyone behind me so if I miss and it goes through the wood fence (its happened a few times) its not a big deal. If your shooting in an open field, make sure you don't miss! If those arrows hit the ground, they can be hard to find. I've got a few that are so deep I gave up on em.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went up to OKlahoma City and shot bows in my friends backyard the other day. He's a cop and didn't seem to think much of it. That doesn't mean it is legal necessarily, but if there is a law against it I'm will to bet he was unaware of it. However, I don't shoot in my backyard in Norman because The angle of the ground and shortness of our fence makes it so every Tom, Dick, and Harry driving by can see me plain as day. I figure I live 6 minutes away from Tri-City where I have a membership and they have a great archery range, so I just go there most the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom