Legal Updates-

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recieved a legal update bulletin from OSBI today, several are relevant to the site. Thought I'd post them for everyone to see---

These are just the highlights--

Senate Bill 173-

changed definition of Concealed Handgun.

Changed 21-1290.8- Removed 50 admin fee for failure to notify leo. 2 or more violations are still grounds for suspension.

21-1290.12-

Allows county sheriff to issue a temporary, no cost handgun lic to persons granted a PERMANENT VPO. Lic is only good for 6mos.

21-1290.22-
Bussiness owners rights were expanded to include "Place of Worship".

Owners wishing to trample on customers 2nd A rights "Should" place signs at stating so.

Carrying F/A onto posted property is NOT criminal offense, however if they refuse to leave and LEO arrives, they can issue a 250.00 citation if they still refuse to leave(kinda vague)

House Bill 1462

21-1290.14

SDA instructors can get 5 or 10 year lic. now. and can charge whatever the market supports.

21-1243-

I dont understand these changes really so I'm gonna skip it.

21-1290.14-
Class size and fees at discretion of trainer.

21-1290.15-
Fee for exempt persons classroom only portion are at the discretion of instructor.

House Bill 1622-

21-1277-
Removes- "any meeting of any city, town county or state officials ect" from list of places prohibited to carry.

Adds the ability for private schools to adopt firearms policy allowing carry. Also includes immunity for those doing so for negligence ect.

21-1280-

defines private school.

House Bill 2170-

21-1272-

Removes "Spring type knife" from prohibited weapons

these are highlights only, please do your own research and read/understand the laws before you act. Most of these take effect Nov. 1st a few are already in effect now as emergency bills. Expect it take a few weeks for LEO's to get up to speed on these changes also. It takes time to get the word out.

Too me these seem like good progress, enjoy.

Fog

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SDA Lawbook NOV 2013 said:
...knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife...

Looks to me like they just changed how they say it.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Without removing the ban on governmental buildings, this one is cold comfort to most of us.

Many city, county, and state meetings take place away from government buildings - often with no public notification about the meeting other than a Public Notice in the local newspaper.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks to me like they just changed how they say it.

No kidding!!! I went and read the statute and I have no clue what they removed? From reading the legal update I assumed spring assisted but after reading the statute its clearly not what they did. I even googled, and have no clue what this "spring knife" is...
I guess spring assisted is still to dangerous for the legislature to allow..
me too.

So these things have passed?

Yes

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Button in the HANDLE of the knife is key. Most spring assist knives have the nub or whatever on the blade. It actually does remove quite a bit of ambiguity of what is a "switchblade" versus spring assist.

Also, in case folks don't already know, this is timely because absent an emergency effect clause in a bill, all new laws go into effect Nov.1 following the legislative session.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So now we can carry into a place that have signs and won't be risking committing a crime? This one sounds good for us. Before I was skeptical of carrying into a place that was posted because I was scared if something happened and I used my pistol then I would not be covered under our current law because I was carrying in a place that was posted. Sounds to me like this gives us more coverage to do so. I think it is basically to try and make us happy and make the people that don't want us carrying happy. But I am no expert. On a side note, my pharmacy posted signs right after the open carry bill went into effect. And when I went in there yesterday the signs were down. I wonder if this has something to do with this new change?

Latest posts

Top Bottom