Let’s talk riflescopes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
In the market for a long range rifle scope. I’m pretty faithful to Vortex but also open to whatever else is out there that y’all might recommend. I figure at least up to 24 power if not more… planning on shooting at 500 yards and eventually 1200 yards. Budget is probably $1500 with rings/mount.

Rifle is a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308win if that matters

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you looking for first or second focal plane, zero stop, MOA or Mil? Do you have a reticle preference? Do you have a minimum desired parallax distance? Are you a veteran, LE, or firefighter?

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Are you looking for first or second focal plane, zero stop, MOA or Mil? Do you have a reticle preference? Do you have a minimum desired parallax distance? Are you a veteran, LE, or firefighter?

I was thinking First Focal, I think that’s recommended for long distance.

gonna need schooled on zero stop

I imagine I’d prefer MOA?

no reticle preference and no minimum parallax distance… might need schooled on this as well.

not a veteran, LE, or FF.

Kev1Doggy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need a FFP with a good zero stop for sure. I have had several that would go past the stop and you can be a full turn off with out knowing it. I see a lot of Nightforce or Scmidt and Benders at the local match. I started out with a Savage 10 in .308 with a Zeiss 2nd focal, than a Burris FFp, a Crimson trace FFp , Primary Arms FFp, now have a Kahles 624 FFP that is a good scope. If I had it do over again I would buy a $3500 Nightforce and be done with it. Buy once cry once!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple first focal plane scopes, and I really think you want second focal plane for long range shooting. You should be able to find a Swarovski Z5 or Zeiss HD5 5-25 in your price range.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
have you considered a dual reticle system? look at the shepherd scope---- Dual Reticle System (DRS) | Shepherd Scopes

i have had some of these for many years now and they are fine. don't worry about if the glass is good or not because they are as good as vortex or leopold etc. the thing you have to look at and understand is the BDC and get the proper reticle for your load. you can dope it just like any other scope also. i like having the return to zero function with the elevation and windage always in y view.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I’m almost thinking about getting this. What are y’all’s thoughts? I think it’s cheaper since it’s a Gen 2 and the Gen 3’s are coming out.

A6186E31-38CD-4A24-8F7B-95EFCB897C35.jpeg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m almost thinking about getting this. What are y’all’s thoughts? I think it’s cheaper since it’s a Gen 2 and the Gen 3’s are coming out.

View attachment 247777
It may be a decent scope, but in my opinion, optics are typically like electronics in that you get what you pay for. :anyone:

Since you’re attempting long range shooting, the scope quality or lack there of will be more obvious.

Latest posts

Top Bottom