Lets see all the AR's!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, I'm a newbie to the OSA and firearms other than hunting (Remington 870, Muzzleloader, 30-30 Marlin) and I bought this AR-15 from my wives friend whose husband died. I have no idea what brand the upper is or the reason for the large tube on top. So, I need some help. Not only with finding out exactly what I have, but how to strip/clean and the function of ARs. Is there someone out there willing to spend a little time going over this? Is there a book/DVD that I should get? Help me out if you can, I hate being ignorant!
:thanku:
John

[Broken External Image]

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Magpul CTR. They're about $90 or so.

I've got one on one of my rifles if you want to handle one before you buy it.

Can you give me a hell yes :P I'd like to see what they feel like before I make a purchase. I do know that I would like a new stock with a cheek piece.

AresV

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you give me a hell yes :P I'd like to see what they feel like before I make a purchase. I do know that I would like a new stock with a cheek piece.

I've got a cheek piece that is made for the CTR I'll sell ya for $10 (they're $20 new). It's too high for me, makes my line of sight too high for the sights.

Of course, you can try that too before you decide you want it or not:D

First Freedom

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
OK, here's mine - pretty basic.... 20" Bushmaster, 5.56x45mm, 1 in 9", camo furniture, flash hider, ERGO brand rubber grip, oversized charging handle (aka "tac-latch"), Sightron S2 1.5-6x42mm in Warne Maxima QD rings, with quick-release tac sling. She don't need no stinkin batteries to run either! :)

Yes, I just dremeled off the front triangle sight - need a new gas block with a P-rail if anyone has one for sale.

Attachments

• P1010242.JPG
    P1010242.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 214
  • P1010243.JPG
    P1010243.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 156
  • P1010244.JPG
    P1010244.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 166

ZGXtreme

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey extreme, is there any functional purpose to use the orange mags for the range?

Well, it basically comes down to personal preference. For me there are a few reasons why I have converted to the orange mag for range, school and training use.

The first, I keep my good Hornady 5.56 in the black PMAGs while I reserve the orange for my LC M855 and other training ammunition. Keeps me from shooting the more expensive stuff unintentionally. Second, easier to see when I reload and don't retain the mag on a speed reload. The first time I used them was on a night fire and with a quick scan of the range with a flashlight the mags easily stood out among the dirt, grass, etc.

Thats about it, per your question, no there is no "functional" purpose to them. Work the exact same as my black mags, just orange polymer.