Let's see all the Target/Sniper bolt-actions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Not looking at doing it any time soon, but if I were to have my action trued and put a Shilen barrel on my 700 (.243) How much accuracy difference should I expect? And, where should it be stock (like it is now)? Should I be getting MOA now or better? It is running a free float stock. Choate, with like 3" clearance all the way around...

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What about the SPS Tactical? I've been thinking about one of those lately.

That was my original plan was just to get one of those but I thought they were 1/10 twist but they are only 1/12 so that turned me off of them. There was also a thread on Snipers Hide where several people had some problems with them. Something about they were leaving really bad ejector marks and had to be sent back to Rem. Also you can pretty much add another stock to the price because the factory Hogue that it comes with sucks like no other.

If I was just getting into the LR game or was looking at a "budget" rifle I would get the SPS Varmint in stainless and have eich duracoat it.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not looking at doing it any time soon, but if I were to have my action trued and put a Shilen barrel on my 700 (.243) How much accuracy difference should I expect? And, where should it be stock (like it is now)? Should I be getting MOA now or better? It is running a free float stock. Choate, with like 3" clearance all the way around...

It's too hard to say how much of a difference but I would almost guarantee you'd see one switching from a factory barrel to an aftermarket stainless barrel.

eich

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Listen to what Josh says, factory barrels suck. Rough bore and a crappy crown. Most important part of your stick. Not to say that after you slick up a GOOD Remington barrel (which are rare but do come out once in a while) that they won't shoot, some will. Mrs.eich's LTR in 223 will shoot 1/2 MOA all the time. If you want it to shoot...for sure...take it to Steve. Have him blueprint the action and put a Rock, PacNor or Hart barrel on it. Put it in a McMillian or HS and have fun, it WILL shoot. Just to get an idea of finishes below is my LTR in Duracoat, below it is my GAP TIS in CeraKote.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v636_eich_100_07241.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v636_eich_100_0563.jpg

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not looking for a gun that can shoot MOA at 900 yards. Just a nice, capable rifle. $2500 max budget, not including scope. I've also considered one of the FN barreled actions from CDNN. Whatever I get, I plan on putting it in a McRee Precision stock.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was my original plan was just to get one of those but I thought they were 1/10 twist but they are only 1/12 so that turned me off of them. There was also a thread on Snipers Hide where several people had some problems with them. Something about they were leaving really bad ejector marks and had to be sent back to Rem. Also you can pretty much add another stock to the price because the factory Hogue that it comes with sucks like no other.

If I was just getting into the LR game or was looking at a "budget" rifle I would get the SPS Varmint in stainless and have eich duracoat it.

I can't find an SPS Varmint in Stainless. Remington's website doesn't list them. They do have the SPS in stainless, but it doesn't have the heavy barrel.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not looking for a gun that can shoot MOA at 900 yards. Just a nice, capable rifle. $2500 max budget, not including scope. I've also considered one of the FN barreled actions from CDNN. Whatever I get, I plan on putting it in a McRee Precision stock.

I have read too many people complaining about the FN actions. It's cool they offer factory rifles with nice aftermarket stocks and barrels but that doesn't make up for their sorry action.

If you got $2500 I'd get the new Surgeon round action. It's cheaper then the one piece tactical action but will be nicer then any FN/Savage/Rem action.

I would be all over the McRee stock too if he redesigned the cheek rest. Or possibly made it out of carbon fiber instead. It just doesn't look good to me.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't find an SPS Varmint in Stainless. Remington's website doesn't list them. They do have the SPS in stainless, but it doesn't have the heavy barrel.

You're right. I must have been smoking crack when I thought I saw one. Another option I completely forgot about is the new XCR compact tactical. That is a very good setup for what they are asking. They are hard to find though. They have a stainless barrel with the LTR profile and it's already coated black. They also have the B&C stock on it.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you got $2500 I'd get the new Surgeon round action. It's cheaper then the one piece tactical action but will be nicer then any FN/Savage/Rem action.

I would be all over the McRee stock too if he redesigned the cheek rest. Or possibly made it out of carbon fiber instead. It just doesn't look good to me.
That's a $2500 limit for the entire rifle, not just the action. Essentially my goal is a fancy schmancy deer rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom