1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Lets talk about firearms in National Parks

Discussion in 'Firearms Chat' started by dennishoddy, Apr 2, 2021.

1. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I will be in grizzly country sometime this year.
    Some will be in the back country fly fishing. Sometimes by myself because I prefer to go further in than most for pristine waters.
    This is what I gleaned from the National Park Service.

Firearms in National Parks
    Possession of Firearms in National Park Units
    In areas administered by the National Park Service, an individual can possess a firearm if that individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm and if the possession of the firearm complies with the laws of the state where the park area is located. 54 U.S.C. 104906.

It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable Federal, state and local firearms laws and regulations, including laws authorizing or prohibiting concealed carry, before entering a national park. Some parks are located in more than one state or locality which means that the applicable laws may change depending upon where you are located within a park area.

If a park is located in a jurisdiction where the applicable state and local laws grant reciprocity to non-resident firearm owners, then consistent with the applicable law, the park will equally recognize the reciprocity. For information on state and local laws, please contact the state and locality where the park is located.
    Possession of Firearms in Federal Facilities
    Unless expressly authorized, Federal law prohibits the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon in NPS facilities. These buildings include, but are not limited to, government offices, visitor centers, ranger stations, fee collection buildings, and maintenance facilities. 18 U.S.C. 930.
    Use of Firearms
    Unless authorized, the use or discharge of a firearm within a park area is prohibited. 36 CFR 2.4(b) and 13.30(c). In parks where hunting is specifically mandated or authorized by federal statute, firearms may be used to hunt in accordance with NPS regulations and state laws. 36 CFR 2.2.

Visitors should not consider firearms as protection from wildlife.
    More Information
    The information provided on this page provides a general overview of the rules about firearms across the National Park System. If you have questions about the firearm rules in a particular park, please contact that park for more information prior to visiting.

So, I'm allowed to carry an anchor, (in red)but not use it in self defense from a griz charge?
    I should allow myself to be mauled and possibly killed to stay within the law as a good citizen?
    I'm sure I'd feel hunky dory about that while the face is being separated from the skull knowing that the law was being followed as written?
    What the hell?

Hodrod, chadh2o and Garrett like this.
  2. Aries

Aries Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I guess it's okay if you kill a human in self-defense, but don't kill an animal for any reason?

Hodrod likes this.
  3. Oklahomabassin

Oklahomabassin Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I think it means take out someone else as a peace offering to the bears.

4. tRidiot

tRidiot Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    You don't have to be the fastest in your group... only faster than one.

SoonerP226, Beau B, Rod Snell and 7 others like this.
  5. El Pablo

El Pablo Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    You would best be served with bear spray or shooting anyone with you in the leg over taking on a charging grizzly with a handgun. A 243 at 100 yards has more force than my 44 mag revolvers at the muzzle. I don’t think any of us would think to. Hunt grizzlies with a .243.

My relatives in Alaska carried bear spray or shotguns. First round was buckshot, the rest slugs. First shot to the face, the rest to the body as needed.

All that being said, those park rules seem stupid.

Hodrod likes this.
  6. PBramble

PBramble I need TP

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    The way I read the part in red is just don't consider your firearm a magic talisman. I don't see anything out of line with the regs. but you better be prepared to explain if you have to shoot.

7. becker_atc

becker_atc Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I carried my 10mm while in backcountry but both me and wife had spray as well. We saw beat sign kept food in bear can away from our camp ect

We going to be doing it again but traveling through California so will be take my 41 mag because of the communist territory rules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hodrod, Garrett and HoLeChit like this.
  8. GlockPride

GlockPride Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I thought that’s why .22lr was effective against bears? You don’t even have to be fastest, just a good shot to the knee of your buddy with the .22 ensured a clean getaway for yourself?

HoLeChit likes this.
  9. TheDoubleD

TheDoubleD Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Visitors should not consider firearms as protection from wildlife.

The operative word is should. It is discretionary. If they prohibited firearms as protection against animals the word would be shall, and the sentence would read: Visitors shall not use firearms as protection from wildlife.

The guidance is to carry bear spray. Read and follow the warning signs about how to conduct yourself in bear country and you will be just fine.

HiredHand, nic6, DRC458 and 2 others like this.
  10. HoLeChit

HoLeChit Semper Fidelis

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Agreed, and that has been my understanding for several years. Typically rangers dislike people carrying firearms in bear country because idiots then think they’re invincible and throw caution to the wind. In Colorado I had it explained to me that if I were to shoot a bear, I better have a good explanation as to why I did it and what I did to avoid shooting it beforehand.

DRC458 likes this.