Muscogee Creek Nation sues Tulsa over prosecution of Native citizens

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm an Indian outlaw
Half Cherokee and Choctaw
My baby, she's a Chippewa
She's a one of a kind…………………
Now I'm triggered, Don't you know how offensive that is?

He always wore his Sunday feathers and carried an old Blackhawk
The maiden wore her beads and braids and hoped some day he'd talk....

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a member of the Cherokee Nation who is married to a member of the Choctaw Nation and as someone who has worked in Indian Health Care for over 28 years I have never felt that anyone in any Oklahoma tribe has a clue what they mean when discussing a "reservation". Oklahoma might have tribal reservation boundaries on a map, but the state most definitely doesn't have what most would consider an actual reservation. On an actual reservation nobody can own the land except the BIA. Folks can't finance building a house because they don't own the land . . . all they can do is lease the land and pull in a trailer. Business development on an actual reservation takes years. Infrastructure development takes years.

The best thing to happen to Oklahoma tribes was to get rid of the "reservation" designations and let people actually own the land. There is no way we'd be happier living on a true reservation like the Navajo Nation. We're too spoiled.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a member of the Cherokee Nation who is married to a member of the Choctaw Nation and as someone who has worked in Indian Health Care for over 28 years I have never felt that anyone in any Oklahoma tribe has a clue what they mean when discussing a "reservation". Oklahoma might have tribal reservation boundaries on a map, but the state most definitely doesn't have what most would consider an actual reservation. On an actual reservation nobody can own the land except the BIA. Folks can't finance building a house because they don't own the land . . . all they can do is lease the land and pull in a trailer. Business development on an actual reservation takes years. Infrastructure development takes years.

The best thing to happen to Oklahoma tribes was to get rid of the "reservation" designations and let people actually own the land. There is no way we'd be happier living on a true reservation like the Navajo Nation. We're too spoiled.
100% truth.
My family had a Cherokee piece of land, Grandpa sold it during the Depression. Such is life. That was the end of the deal for our Cherokee "reservation" IMHO.

My wife is part owner of a chunk of Pawnee land. It's managed by the BIA, and it pretty well keeps anyone from doing anything with it except ag lease managed through BIA. It sucks, but that system was designed to keep Indian land in the hands of Indians as opposed to what happened in Eastern Oklahoma.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
100% truth.
My family had a Cherokee piece of land, Grandpa sold it during the Depression. Such is life. That was the end of the deal for our Cherokee "reservation" IMHO.

My wife is part owner of a chunk of Pawnee land. It's managed by the BIA, and it pretty well keeps anyone from doing anything with it except ag lease managed through BIA. It sucks, but that system was designed to keep Indian land in the hands of Indians as opposed to what happened in Eastern Oklahoma.

A question, TK.

Does your wife receive the lease money or does BIA keep it?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A question, TK.

Does your wife receive the lease money or does BIA keep it?
The family gets the money. She gets her fraction of it, as does my son. Each heir (owner) receives money in proportion to how much of the land their share is.

There's some oil on it, she gets that (distributed the same way) - but it's nearly nothing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom