Lever action Winchester 94 scope mounting question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently acquired a lever action Winchester Model 94AE (angle eject) S/N 521XXXX in a 30-30 caliber and I would like your opinion on mounting a scope and methods to mount a scope on this gun.

I understand that this is about a 100 yard gun and irons sights work for most people but due to the number of birthdays these eyeballs have seen I am having a little trouble getting a clean sight picture.

I am considering a low power scope or a red dot and would appreciate any scope mounting solutions for this gun you may have found. Also if you have a recommendation for an appropriate scope that would be helpful

Thanks for your help,

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Mounting a scope on a Winchester 94 in two easy steps.

1. Sell winchester 94

2. Buy Marlin 336

Problem solved.

Seriously give the aperature sights a try. It might do it for you. they worked for me for several years but even then I'm still looking ot go with a scope on my lever guns. The Marlins come drilled and tapped for scope mounts from the factory and the older ones came drilled and tapped for a Lyman 66 sight as did the older Winchesters. I'm not sure when they "cost saved" those features away. If your Winchester is old enough it may be drilled for the Lyman sight, look for two holes with filler screws on the left side of the receiver just forward of the hammer and just below the top of the receiver.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The responses have been very helpful (and colorful) but I would like to know if any of you guys used one of the side mounted scope setups.

I have seen a system that is made from aircraft aluminum made to mount to existing holes in the left side of the receiver. It is supplied with longer bolts and is marketed as a “bolt on” with no drilling, tapping or gunsmith required. This way it does not alter a "classic" and is still reasonably functional for deer hunting with these old eyeballs and 100 yards or less. I am concerned that the old "to good to be true" phrase may come into effect here.

I think I was able to attach a picture of this little engineering miracle. Yes the picture is stolen.

PS: If you want to sell your Marlin 336 I am interested.

Attachments

• Winchester64Mount.jpg
    Winchester64Mount.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,944

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to dong's or Sportsworld (probably only stores old enough to have one)
buy mount -weaver or holden ironsighter or others
then mount on gun
your gun is drilled & tapped for it from factory.
just make sure you are getting the top mount for the AE
and not the side mount for the std 94.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Russ, the one you mention below is for the standard 94 not the angle eject
the AE is top mounted

I have seen a system that is made from aircraft aluminum made to mount to existing holes in the left side of the receiver. It is supplied with longer bolts and is marketed as a “bolt on” with no drilling, tapping or gunsmith required. This way it does not alter a "classic" and is still reasonably functional for deer hunting with these old eyeballs and 100 yards or less. I am concerned that the old "to good to be true" phrase may come into effect here.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have problems seeing at distance the scope is the way to go.

If you are like me you can see just fine at distance, but up close is difficult? Check out an Aimpoint. It is a great choice in this instance. You also get the benefit of shooting with both eyes open. Don't discount that factor. And a buddy of mine had one mounted on a '94 Trapper model.

ltdavel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a 70's vintage Model 94 that is not an angle eject. When I bought it used it was drilled and tapped for a side mount and came with an old steel tube Weaver 3X scope. I was not happy at all with that mounting system as I believe that it threw the gun out of balance and I had to sight with my head over to one side. It made the gun very "klunky" and uncomfortable to carry and fire. If you can find a mount that will put the scope over the center line of the receiver you should be okay with the balance of the rifle. I'd stick with a low magnification - maybe a 1.5 or 2X on the low end if you can find one - because you're still looking at a 150-200 yard gun at the most.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Don't do that mount! Mr Ed is right ....... The weaver side mount is the best for that rifle. Keep it more period correct and you can get a wide eye low magnification scope or go all the way out. I have a Win model 70 and I hated that the only thing I could use was that stinking Weaver, that is until I saw the crap other people rigged on theirs....