license plate cost me...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live right on the kansas/oklahoma line, turkey hunt both states. I have been seeing some big gobblers strutting in this pasture in ks for about a wk now. Nobody at the house when i go by. Finally today somebody is pulling in as I drive by. I give them my big friendly smile and ask for permission to hunt, figure i aint got nothing to lose and those huge longbeards are pretty motivating. The guy looks like Sam Elliot and also has a big stainless .45 in his belt, takes one look at my OK license plate and says no way, says we dont like outsiders coming in here and killing our stuff. I am very polite, thank him for his time with a big smile, get in my truck and drive off. As I go by the pasture there is a longbeard 25 yards from my truck on the other side of the fence, I stop, roll down my window, and yelp on the mouth call. Of course he gobbles immediately and goes into full strut. Stupid bird knows there aint a dang thing I can do about it.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup, can't say I disagree with him. I curl my lip at every Texas plate I see. Sucks if you live a mile away and are considered an outsider, I probably would have thrown that in my argument, but would likely have fallen upon deaf ears. You're an Okie, he's a Kansanian. That imaginary line can make a world of difference.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Next time you boys go hunt elk or mule deer or antelope or whatever it is out of state think about all those Texas plates and how you curse them. "Outsiders" are more than welcome in my state, cuz that's a two way street in my book!

huntemup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first few years I lived in OK, I still had NC tags (military) and I never even considered that it might be the reason I couldn't easily get hunting permission. But I can also remember being in hunt clubs back home and turning away prospective members bc they were Yankee transplants. So a small part of me can understand. Then theres the part of me that's grown up/matured to where now I see fellow hunter as one of my people regardless of where he calls/called home. We all have to stick together in this thing bc quite honestly, no single state has a monopoly on the game and fish I want to pursue.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have to admit I'm sort of that way. Nobody local that hunts, hunts from an SUV. SUV's mean two things.............they are from Tulsa, or OKC...........and seldom if ever have permission.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My good hunting buddy lives here, but his work truck (which he also uses as his personal vehicle) has texas plates and has run into the same thing looking for new leases.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in Kansas turkey hunting last week, I saw hunters plates from Florida (my dad), Minnesota, Nebraska, South Carolina, Colorado, Missouri, and one guy flew in from Alaska.... and that was all in the area we were hunting in north Kansas.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to admit I'm sort of that way. Nobody local that hunts, hunts from an SUV. SUV's mean two things.............they are from Tulsa, or OKC...........and seldom if ever have permission.

That's why I drive a truck, although since it's a Nissan, I still get there's that city folk look!

Latest posts

Top Bottom