Light Primer Strikes - advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green_machine2

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've seen something similar with a half dpms/half ?.... check length of firing pin next to a new or different firing pin. I want to say the one I saw was .004-.007 short and it had same issue. just a thought. "although I'm sure a firing pin can be an inch short and still fire according to someone"....but it's worth a shot. ;)

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've tried the standard FCG with a 5.56 upper with no issues, but I was using commercial ammo, not milsurp.

However, I had an interesting exchange of emails yesterday afternoon and this morning with an assistant shop manager at Geissele; he told me that the springs in the S3G setup are full power and stronger than a mil-spec spring. He went on to say that the S3G setup is prone to bump-firing and short stroking which can result in light primer strikes, so it's critical to have the stock firmly shouldered, the trigger pulled positively with no feathering, and the pistol grip held tightly. I'll need not to finesse the trigger pull and to experiment with different stances and grips, apparently. However, wouldn't a very strong hammer spring result in a higher likelihood of the hammer following the bolt carrier?

The guy said this trigger is prone to bump firing and short stroking? So how are they refunding your money? Check? Money order?

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha. Just the advice about shouldering, grip, and trigger manipulation.

If if reinstalling the original FCG solves the problem, then you have your answer. the s3g is a specialized trigger and doesnt always play nice depending on setup and use. there are ways to correct the problem, one of which is the heavier spring, or send it back to Geissele. It really just depends on how much you want to work at it.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If if reinstalling the original FCG solves the problem, then you have your answer. the s3g is a specialized trigger and doesnt always play nice depending on setup and use. there are ways to correct the problem, one of which is the heavier spring, or send it back to Geissele. It really just depends on how much you want to work at it.

According to the shop fellow, the spring is full power so I don't know if they have a heavier one. At any rate, when I get around to it, I'll re-install the RRA trigger setup I had in the lower prior to the Geissele, and see if that makes any difference. If it does, I'll use the Geissele in a 5.56 upper with commercial ammo - it's too nice to send back, light primer strikes notwithstanding.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen something similar with a half dpms/half ?.... check length of firing pin next to a new or different firing pin. I want to say the one I saw was .004-.007 short and it had same issue. just a thought. "although I'm sure a firing pin can be an inch short and still fire according to someone"....but it's worth a shot. ;)
Its the length from collar to firing pin tip that matters. had one that worked like that and there was a little piece of metal (burr)in the bolt carrier that kept the pin from protruding enough. remove the pin and shine a bright light in the fp hole and check it out. also check out fp hole in bolthead for burrs/junk.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its the length from collar to firing pin tip that matters. had one that worked like that and there was a little piece of metal (burr)in the bolt carrier that kept the pin from protruding enough. remove the pin and shine a bright light in the fp hole and check it out. also check out fp hole in bolthead for burrs/junk.

I forgot to post an update about the issue I was having with the light primer strikes; it turns out the folks suggesting a check of the firing pin were right. Previously, I had just shaken the bolt and felt the pin rattling back and forth like it's supposed to, and figured it was OK since I'd put less than 300 rounds through the upper before having the light strike issue. I went back and removed the firing pin, and surprise, surprise - there was a solid ring of carbon / grime on the flange of the pin. I couldn't believe how fast that ring had been laid down - that surplus 5.45 ammo is dirty! After removing the deposits, it was a while before I got back to the range to try the AR - with the Geissele trigger kit re-installed. The rifle ran just fine, with no FTF's or any other issues. So I just need to check the firing pin every couple hundred rounds, it seems. Still, a small price to pay when a full magazine of 5.45 ammo costs $6, compared to $12-13 for a mag of 5.56 ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom