Lights and Lasers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright guys since I have zero experience in this I have to figure some of you out there know a world more than I do. I have recently decided to stretch my reach of experience and new things. Lights and lasers is high on the list. How do you feel about tac laser sighting? Effective? Accurate? Dependable? Which ones do you choose? Please keep price in mind. I know that I want a remote switch(pressure sens type).

As for lights.... I am interested in both rail mountable and non. I know Sig makes a combo laser/light for the P series. Is it worth the money? Is there one with a remote switch? I like Surefire(DUH!), but damn! They are expensive! What else is out there that you have real experience with?

I do realize there is a lot of discussion on this topic. Thing is I could spend days searching and finding half answers out of context.
Thank you for your input.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On duty I carry a TLR-2 on my XDm... I really like having it. Off duty I carry a pocket light. Havnt found a good concealment holster for anything I own with a light that really didn't print or show in some way, Even my 1911 is to bulky for my prefrences with the light. Weapon lights have their place and can serve you well if your train with them regularly, but they also have draw backs like any other tool in your bag...... there are several threads on here that debate weather or not they are good/bad. It's something for each user to decide if it's right tool for them or not.

Fog

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am only speaking from the side of self defense and/or home protection but I prefer a flashlight on my nightstand, which I always have an iTp C6 ready, and I have a lasermax guide rod in my SIG by the bed. It's also one of my carry guns. I like the lasermax because it doesn't add weight, bulk, or appearance of the gun, but gives me the flexibility if I ever needed to shoot from some crazy position in a home protection or self defense scenario. The lasermax guide rods, in all but the 1911, are not adjustable. They are guaranteed to give center of mass hits out to 25 yards or something like that. I've found mine to be beyond adequate accuracy wise.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Different purposes. For me, the WML is for home, and I know where all the friendlies are, so lighting up a target with the pistol is not a concern. I have an Insight M6 with toggle that I'm very happy with.

Lasers, to me, are backup, shooting from awkward positions, and a touch of, "do you really want to try...?" I have CTCs, and like them. POI/POA, switch the batts once a year. If I were getting newer ones, I would get the frontstrap switch, rather than the backstrap. It is nice to have more choice about turning on the two-way pointer.;)

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
<snip>
Lasers, to me, are backup, shooting from awkward positions, and a touch of, "do you really want to try...?" I have CTCs, and like them. POI/POA, switch the batts once a year. If I were getting newer ones, I would get the frontstrap switch, rather than the backstrap. It is nice to have more choice about turning on the two-way pointer.;)

+1 on Crimson Trace lasers. I have them on 2 1911 .45's, a Ruger MKIII Hunter, and a Glock 22. My wife has some real eye problems and she uses the laser at the range on her .45 and .22. She does practice every month or two without the laser, just in case. They are also good for dry firing practice. You can really get a feel for how much the gun moves when you pull the trigger.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
since sigma and glock are basically the same gun with different names would it be possible to use a lasermax guide rod in a sigma that was for a glock 22?

Uh - no, the S&W Sigma and the various models Glock makes are very different guns made by very different manufacturers (and no, a Lasermax made for one wouldn't work for the other).

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on Crimson Trace lasers. I have them on 2 1911 .45's, a Ruger MKIII Hunter, and a Glock 22. My wife has some real eye problems and she uses the laser at the range on her .45 and .22. She does practice every month or two without the laser, just in case. They are also good for dry firing practice. You can really get a feel for how much the gun moves when you pull the trigger.

An interesting point. I guess I really just need to go out and get a laser and try it out. I think no matter what I want to go with the Crimson Trace. How accurate are the Crimsons after you dial them in? Do they hold their POA/POI with repeated recoil?
My concerns about a light extend to lasers as well. The massive forward bulk(not so much weight) seems as if it would be awkward. I also was always trained to keep my light far out to the side. This would keep the bad guys shooting at your light from shooting at you.

I have never been in a situation that called for this tactic so I can't swear to it, but it makes sense in theory.

Latest posts

Top Bottom