Loading for an ar15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I use Lee resize lube mixed in a spraybottlwith 95% rubbing alcohol.
CCI 400 primers
26.6 Blc2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Varget wouldn't meter properly in my Lee drop.
55gr FMJ-BT W/C Hornadys with an OAL of 2.257.
It's cheap to make and runs great out of my and my son's carbines, only problem we have ever run into is a upside down primer/ my fault.

Not match ammo by any means. But a proven plinker for us.

impalaSS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
H&H has it.

Or you can mix some liquid lanolin into some everclear, I think I use a 1/8 ratio or so.

Never heard of that. I googled it thinking you were messing with me its pretty popular as a sizing lube though.
I went to bass pro yesterday while there toyota was doing a test drive event and giving out $10 gift certificates for each drive. Got my gift certificate and picked up some of the hornady one shot lube. Might try and mix my own next time though.

Reloader27

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does everyone crimp their .223 reloads for the AR or does it matter with the less recoil from the .223 as opposed to the .308 and larger calibers? I have reloaded only for bolt 22-250, .243 and 30-06 and have never crimped any of those reloads since not semi-auto.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't crimp 223, I won't start until this proves to be a mistake.

You're not gonna get much pull from a little bullet in such a lightly recoiling platform anyway (which it sounds like you're worried about) and I've never had a setback problem.

Reloader27

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't crimp 223, I won't start until this proves to be a mistake.

You're not gonna get much pull from a little bullet in such a lightly recoiling platform anyway (which it sounds like you're worried about) and I've never had a setback problem.

Thanks for the advice. I probably won't crimp unless I have a problem with cycling or bullets pulling out of the brass - yikes!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My current load is 26.0 grains of BLC(2) and the Hornady 55 FMJBT w/cannelure. Somehow Hornady gets those things to fly. Very very nice bullet for the price but they have went up since I bought them. They used to be an absolute steal. When my stock is gone I've got a half case of Montana Golds but haven't tried them yet. They look almost exactly the same, I just hope they shoot the same.

kades_dad

New to the site!
Reaction score
i use sierra match king 53gr., 24grns of H322, federal gold medal primers, and seat to 2.230 COAL. that load shoots .6 at 100yds all day long out of my m&p-15. more often than not it groups .4 or less.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer AA2230 and 55 to 57 grain bullets for my AR and Bolt rifles in 223. As far as case lube goes, I have less stuck cases in all calibers with Imperial Sizing Die Wax. To me it is the very best lube out there and I've tried most all of the commercial lubes. Next best off the shelf is the tin of mink oil you get in the shoe polish section at walmart. I've found that crimping is neccessary in my AR's but not in my bolt gun. I get more consistent groups with the factory crimp die and cases trimmed appropriately. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom