LOCAL, legitmate, gun builders?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can build a gun. I think you can even sell it, but you should be careful doing this. They can nail you for not having an FFL if you do it enough. And only "they" get to decide what enough is.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can build a gun. I think you can even sell it, but you should be careful doing this. They can nail you for not having an FFL if you do it enough. And only "they" get to decide what enough is.
I think you can build several a year, too, without being considered a manufacturer. Don't know about selling, though. That's where it might get real interesting with the ATF.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need to have the gun designed and blueprinted before continuing.
If you just go to somebody and say "I want it to be this long,wide,tall and kind of look like this or that" and leave it up to them to make it. It is then their design not yours. They could patent it and you paid for their prototype developement.
(Been there done that.)
You can make prototypes without a ffl. They must be marked with ATF approved markings listing your name,city,state. and a serial # which is usually something like #EXP2102011-1 if you made it today. they are for R&D and not to be sold. If you make them for sale. You have to have a 07 mfg license and pay excise tax on each one produced.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just do the "postage stamp" copyright.
All you have to do is make a copy of your design, put it in an envelope and mail it to yourself.
Do not open it when you get it back because if you take someone to court over the copyright, the judge will accept the date of the cancelation as the date that you designed it and considered it your property.

copertop80

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll post pic's and specs when I get my provisional pattent "patent pending". Tony with Tromix had come to my mind but last I knew he was back logged about 18 months, and the guy over at S&H came to mind as well. Thanks to everyone that has offered help so far, I am sure that I'll be contacting you over the next few days.

I'm going to have to partner with someone on this concept (with the cans and cantd) due to the fact that I'm just not a gunsmith..

Just alittle teaser....

Completly new design on the firing system (bolt mech)
Completly new firearm design on the form of the weapon.

Again thanks to everyone that has contributed thus far and if you have or think that you still can assist me in my voyage please don't hesitate

thanks again

Latest posts

Top Bottom