Long Range Shooting - Places to Shoot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$50 in long range shooting is not much for range time considering rifle, optics, ammo, range finder, ballistics calculator, and mandatory Ford Raptor, lol! It's all we have up in NE Ok. I've got steel out to 400 on my range, but that doesn't challenge one much. Red Castle was not much of an option for me, either.

Shanerbanner10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're preaching to the choir.

However, $50 every weekend is not an option for me and I doubt either of the other 2 guys I shoot with would want to pay that either. Shooting in the PRS is not cheap and we all understand that, but paying $50 to practice for 2 hours every weekend isn't what we have in mind.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tulsa Red Castle Gun Club has a 600 yard range, but it's paper targets only. They have an NRA high power silhouette range that has targets out to 500 meters, but you have to use their steel (chickens, pigs, turkeys and rams). I think there's still a gong on that range out around 800 yards. I've never swung a scope over that direction to see if it's still there and I can't make it out that far away without a magnification aid.

Unfortunately, membership to the outdoor range is closed at the moment and current indoor range members get first dibs on the outdoor memberships if/when they open up.

Shanerbanner10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tulsa Red Castle Gun Club has a 600 yard range, but it's paper targets only. They have an NRA high power silhouette range that has targets out to 500 meters, but you have to use their steel (chickens, pigs, turkeys and rams). I think there's still a gong on that range out around 800 yards. I've never swung a scope over that direction to see if it's still there and I can't make it out that far away without a magnification aid.

Unfortunately, membership to the outdoor range is closed at the moment and current indoor range members get first dibs on the outdoor memberships if/when they open up.

I've spent plenty of time out at Red Castle with friends that have membership, but I hate bothering or feeling like I am bothering them every weekend to try to get some practice in. There is a 6" plate at 650 yard about 20 yards left of the number 1 board on the 600 yard range that we beat up quite a bit when I was shooting there regularly.

As you said, with membership not being open (I was told it likely wont be open for at least another year, if not more), that is obviously not an option.

Shanerbanner10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're telling me. I've looked everywhere and asked everyone I know if they know someone with land. The best thing I've got so far was about 300 yards but with the flat shooting stuff we shoot these days, its no use. I went from finishing very well in our club matches to shooting like absolute crap simply because I just don't have a place to practice. Shooting is just like any other sport, if you don't do it and do it often then you'll lose it.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's time you move further South or West, Shane...

I practice about once a week with my shooting partner. I feel as if I need someone else to help push me even further. Move SOUTH!!!

Shanerbanner10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

I practice about once a week with my shooting partner. I feel as if I need someone else to help push me even further. Move SOUTH!!!

hahaha If I wasn't in school I may think about it! Its getting old just showing up to club matches once a month with no practice. Going to go beat down some doors soon and start asking random farmers (respectively of course.

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Well, there it is...go West, young man! All my long range shooting spots are in Texas. I've spent a lot of time in Kansas, and despite the ample terrain, I haven't seen many publicly available ranges.

Latest posts

Top Bottom