Look what I got to handle- WWII Luger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my wife is the director of a local history museum. As such, I get to go in and check out all the guns that come in for safety. Recently, the museum acquired a 1938 Luger from WWII. The gentleman that sent it home passed away recently, and the family donated it.

As one of the mags was loaded, my wife was not sure if it was unloaded or not. I got the honors. It was unloaded. I have seen one in person, but never had the opportunity to handle one. The gun came with the original declaration from 1946. The gun has some minor wear, it saw some use. Kind of eerie holding a gun that very well could have been used to kill Allied soldiers.

Just a cool piece of history. In the same donation was a knighthood medallion from the Knights Templar circa 1894.

luger.jpg

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way cool. I know you said it went to the museum but I still wish I had one of those beauties. That back story on it would be of interest if it didn't go with the deceased previous owner. And you are right as one can only wonder if it was used against an American

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only shot one in my life and it was earlier this year at Wilshire gun range.
Guy was shooting his grandpas. He even showed me how German POW's would break the gun down to just the barrel and conceal it. It will still shoot with just the barrel because the firing pin, and springs remain with it. He fired one round like that to prove it.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have the story of it's life after it came back, I am not sure of the retrieval story. This was a major figure in Stillwater, I am sure it will be on display at some point in the near future.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there any way you can take a picture of the top of it? Is it a Mauser? Do the numbers all match? What about the numbers on the bottom of the magazines?

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there any way you can take a picture of the top of it? Is it a Mauser? Do the numbers all match? What about the numbers on the bottom of the magazines?

All the numbers match, I have what I believe is the original mag with the wood base instead of aluminum. The wood has the iron cross on it. I will try to get some more pics of it. The serial number is 949, it says 1938 in one place, then 949 on most of the parts, 49 on a several, which match the 949. I need to get some more details. The gun was obtained in 1946. There are two mags, one with an aluminum base and one with what I believe is wood, it matches the grips.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Place I worked out previously had a WWII retired colonel as one of the big wigs. He had one of these that he brought home off an officer he killed. The holster still had a blood stain on the back of it. Amazing piece of history.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the numbers match, I have what I believe is the original mag with the wood base instead of aluminum. The wood has the iron cross on it. I will try to get some more pics of it. The serial number is 949, it says 1938 in one place, then 949 on most of the parts, 49 on a several, which match the 949. I need to get some more details. The gun was obtained in 1946. There are two mags, one with an aluminum base and one with what I believe is wood, it matches the grips.

Ok, pictures of the top will tell us a lot. I've got some great Lugers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom