Looking at new trucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking at getting a new full-size crew cab truck in the next 6-18 months, depending on how long my car lasts (140k on the odo), and the house remodel goes. Pretty much open to anything but dodge, but really leaning towards Toyota right now, my uncle has over 500k on his Tacoma and 75%+ of that has been on a farm. I liked the GMC/Sierra, but haven't heard good things about the engines lasting. Haven't really heard anything good or bad about the newer Ford's. While I'd like a nice truck, I'm really not wanting to spend the $ for a premium package, and I'd kind of like the bench for extra seating, which means nothing fancy. Crew cab, 4wd, and towing power are all I'm pretty much looking at, I can add wheels and suspension for less than what the factory packages cost anyways. So, what are your experiences, good or bad? And yes, Toyota is japanese, but more american made than all but the ford, they are tied for that spot.

h4everything

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 4 F-150's and can't say anything but great things about them. That working them in the oilfield running them to 200K plus on with 1/4-1/2 of them being on dirt roads with me hauling some serious ass the whole time. Had a few minimum things happen but they have made me happy. Know a lot of guys working in the field running the Toyota Tundra's. They put 200K plus on them and they are still do really good and the seat is a bit more comfortable.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's one good thing; my 2000 GMC 5.3 liter is at 250,000 plus and still going strong.

The new direct injection active management, VVT motors are what I'm talking about. Tech wise, this new stuff is night and day difference, but I have heard several reports of multiple motors in less than 100k miles on quite a few of these trucks. My wife has had multiple new vehicles since we've been together, and I always take her old stuff, but this time I am gonna get brand spanking new, but will probably have it 10+ years, so want long term reliability.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2-3 mpg difference is what fueleconomy.gov show's, and its about the same as I get in my SUV. I dont do a lot of driving, so not too worried. I'd prefer long term reliability over a slight increase in MPG. All that technology to get mileage up there still isnt proven, and is whats causing the motor probs in the GMC/Sierra's from what I understand.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I walked away from GM 6 years ago after a LONG run of trucks from them, the last few were terrible and I finally said no more.

My 2010 Ford has been great, next time out it's Ford, but I may look at Toyota as well.

The next poster will tell you Ford sucks, and GM is great. The reality is they all have issues these days, even the beloved Toyota.

So find the looks and features you want.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FORD #1 selling truck in America every year for some reason. It's all I've driven for 20+ years. I'm in the parts business; I sell Ford, Dodge, GM and Toyota. I know what goes out the door.

Latest posts

Top Bottom