Looking for a .22 LR bolt acton rifle for the kids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centraloklahoma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I purchased a CZ 452 Scout for my oldest daughter this year. It is everything good that you hear about CZ. She has put about 70 round through it total so far. Still using the iron sights and single shot option as she is still learning. With tax it was right around $300.-I purchased mine from the Tin Star Shooting Range out in Weatherford. I found the sale on Gunbroker. If you call them and advise them ahead of time they can have one ready for you to pick up on any specific date you drive to their business. I drove from Norman and it was worth it. PS. We got the PINK one and I plan on additional CZ 452 Scouts in the future for my other daughter and me.

CP

Tin Star Shooting Range
25254 S Frontage Rd, Weatherford, OK 73096
(580) 774-0396‎

[email protected]

TUE to SAT 10 AM to 6 PM

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
cricket single shot .22lr is an excellent choice. stock and trigger are sized for kids. full size trigger and guard are available for later.

quality is MUCH better on the CZ youth model. comes in single shot mode. spare magazine can be purchased separately.

Second Hand Rose Pawn has the largest inventory of new CZ rifles in the Tulsa area. helps that they are really NICE folks to deal with.

do your kid a favor by not giving a semi-auto for a first gun.
teach her/him how to make ammo count... plenty of time for auto's later.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
do your kid a favor by not giving a semi-auto for a first gun.
teach her/him how to make ammo count... plenty of time for auto's later.

I'm dealing with this issue. My son (9) was given a nice 10/22 by his grandpa and the kid just pulls the trigger. I asked him if he wants to bother to aim and he's like, "Why?". Time for a single shot....

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The CZ 452 Scout really got my attention. I need to see/handle it before I purchase. I almost ordered one without even looking at it. Almost!

I'd vote 100% for the Scout. I've never shot it in particular, but I have the American, and it's a fantastic make of a gun. For what it's worth, my neighbor did 23 years as a USMC sniper, and the Scout was the first gun that he started his son on. Not to say that being a USMC sniper implies knowledge, but the man knows his way around a gun.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my kids a cricket and I didn't like it and they were not big fans of it either then I got them a savage mark I Y it is bolt action and there is no mag to lose. I like the feed ramp on it which in my opinion makes it a lot better than the cricket it also shoots better than the cricket and they kids can handle it better and they like shooting it.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree about getting a bolt action first to impress upon accuracy instead of just semi-auto blasting. I've never had the occassion to use a cricket, but have heard good things about them. The nice thing is they are cheap, plentiful and fit younger bodies much better so they can get used to proper technique before upgrading.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you've got the $$$ to spent... hands down go with CZ Scout.
quality is equal to any CZ adult rifle, only down sized for kids.
heck I've been considering a scout for a backpack survival type rifle.

Cricket however fits a much needed niche. which is a low cost yet good quality firearm sized for kids.

purchased a Cricket single shot pistol for me... ordered full sized trigger and guard from Cricket. then promptly did a trigger job. which completely changed pistol. wonderfully accurate and smooth.

bottom line is you can't go wrong with either Cricket or CZ Scout. as both are sized for kids, both are accurate bolt action firearms that teaches kids to make their shots count.

looks like Keystone has changed Cricket pistol to adult Hunter pistol

awww.crickett.com_images_pistol_walnut_scope.jpg

I'd vote 100% for the Scout. I've never shot it in particular, but I have the American, and it's a fantastic make of a gun. For what it's worth, my neighbor did 23 years as a USMC sniper, and the Scout was the first gun that he started his son on. Not to say that being a USMC sniper implies knowledge, but the man knows his way around a gun.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because if you can handle a break-open rifle,,,
The H&R Sportster is one sweet rifle,,,
Retails for about $125-$140.
awww.hr1871.com_Images_photo_sportster_youth.jpg

Get the compact version for the littlest kids,,,
Change the rear stock when they get a bit bigger.

I own one of these rifles and I can attest to their inherent accuracy,,,
It easily shoots as well as my Henry Accubolt.

Inexpensive high performance is what these rifles give you,,,
And the kids I let shoot mine love ejecting the rounds back over their shoulders.

Just a thought for you to consider.

Latest posts

Top Bottom