• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Looking for a few bales of straw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
2 or 3 bales of straw, to use for mulch in the Mrs' garden. Older straw is fine, but not rotten. It needs to still be in a bale, so I can move it.

Cheaper is better.

I'm just south of Guthrie, need to find some fairly close by. I can come fetch it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Some Atwoods locations have semi trailer with straw and grass bales. Wheat harvest is about to start when it dries out, there will be lots fresh straw in a week.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Why would straw be sprayed with herbicides? It's dead already, that's what straw is, dead wheat plants that reached It's maturity and harvested.
Sprayed before maturity to have less weed seeds when harvested. Yes there are herbicide residue that will still be in it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sprayed before maturity to have less weed seeds when harvested. Yes there are herbicide residue that will still be in it.
You must be confusing wheat and rye or any cereal grain with something else, because that's simply not done. Which herbicide(s) are you referring to?

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I’ve been using Alfalfa hay for garden mulch the last few years. I was recommended by the lady that I buy my vegetable plants from. I’ve had good results.

I’ve heard about straw bales having herbicide residue, and some people that choose to garden using more organic methods avoid using straw. I don’t know what if any truth there is to that.

Edit: a quick google search found this article.

https://nwdistrict.ifas.ufl.edu/pha...ing-hay-straw-for-vegetable-mulch-or-compost/

What is aminopyralid and how does residual herbicide affect non-target plants?

Aminopyralid is a herbicide active ingredient found in several popular pasture products such as GrazonNext™, Milestone™, Chapparral™ and similar products. This and other similar chemicals have residual activity and can be retained in plant tissues, animal manure, and soil, which makes them a very useful for controlling certain troublesome broadleaf weeds in grass pastures for an extended period of time. Unfortunately, this residual activity increases the potential for causing trouble in vegetables or other crops when hay or animal manure from aminopyralid treated pastures is mistakenly used for mulch, compost, etc. In Florida, aminopyralid containing pasture herbicides are often used as the “go to” for control of hard to control weeds like horsenettle and tropical soda apple which are potentially toxic to livestock. Tomatoes, potatoes, and eggplant are in the same genus (Solanum) as those weeds and are therefore very susceptible to this herbicide as are many other vegetable and other broadleaf crops.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do a search for herbicide residue in straw bale's. It happens
I've been farming it for the last 30y, none that you've mentioned is done for wheat and rye, which is used for straw purposes. Still like to know what herbicide(s) you're referring to. You seem pretty adamant about it so you must have something in mind?

CC379

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
herbicide residue in straw would be pretty rare, as both weeds and wheat would have to be near maturity when sprayed, if weed infestation is bad enough to consider herbicide the resulting straw probably wouldn't be baled as it would be full of weeds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom