• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Looking for a few bales of straw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I've been farming it for the last 30y, none that you've mentioned is done for wheat and rye, which is used for straw purposes. Still like to know what herbicide(s) you're referring to. You seem pretty adamant about it so you must have something in mind?

Could be that there’s some confusion between straw and hay. Not everyone knows the difference and both come in a bail.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
OP here. I'm well aware of the difference betwixt hay and straw.

I don't want wheat hay, or alfalfa hay. Many times that stuff is baled with seed heads intact. The seed heads may be mostly immature, but some of the seed (grain) is viable. I don't want to introduce viable (weed) seeds into her garden.

I want straw. This is the first I've ever heard of herbicide use on straw, but then there are many things of which I am ignorant.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been farming it for the last 30y, none that you've mentioned is done for wheat and rye, which is used for straw purposes. Still like to know what herbicide(s) you're referring to. You seem pretty adamant about it so you must have something in mind?
I really don't care if you have farmed your whole life. Did you do the search for herbicide residue in straw bale's?. It isn't my garden that could be contaminated. Don't care if you believe it or not. Just because you haven't sprayed your fields doesn't mean every field hasn't. Look it up for yourself.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
herbicide residue in straw would be pretty rare, as both weeds and wheat would have to be near maturity when sprayed, if weed infestation is bad enough to consider herbicide the resulting straw probably wouldn't be baled as it would be full of weeds.
Look up persistent herbicides, it doesn't have to be sprayed near harvest time.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Could be that there’s some confusion between straw and hay. Not everyone knows the difference and both come in a bail.
I know the difference. Look up persistent herbicides, herbicides in straw bale's. Killer compost, been aware of persistent herbicides for decades. Just be aware those herbicides stick around in plant matters for a long time . Contaminate your garden area and it's not my fault for not making you aware of documented dangers.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I know the difference. Look up persistent herbicides, herbicides in straw bale's. Killer compost, been aware of persistent herbicides for decades. Just be aware those herbicides stick around in plant matters for a long time . Contaminate your garden area and it's not my fault for not making you aware of documented dangers.

I posted an article that supported your position about residual effects from herbicide usage and how it can contaminate hay, straw and manure.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I really don't care if you have farmed your whole life. Did you do the search for herbicide residue in straw bale's?. It isn't my garden that could be contaminated. Don't care if you believe it or not. Just because you haven't sprayed your fields doesn't mean every field hasn't. Look it up for yourself.
No, you tell me what herbicide that you would spray on wheat and rye to kill weeds? I'm curious. I know the answer, but I don't think you do or would have mentioned it already, and in this case it's a non factor. Timing and growth seasons play a factor in this as well, that's why herbiside application isnt needed before harvest. I'm not doubting or disputing chemical residue in the plant or on the ground, it happens. It just doesn't happen in this case, and if you knew what you were talking about, you wouldn't have commented to begin with. Because what other kind straw is there other than wheat or rye? None. So one more time, tell us all what herbicide are farmers spraying on their wheat and rye that leaves a residue prior to harvest.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
No, you tell me what herbicide that you would spray on wheat and rye to kill weeds? I'm curious. I know the answer, but I don't think you do or would have mentioned it already, and in this case it's a non factor. Timing and growth seasons play a factor in this as well, that's why herbiside application isnt needed before harvest. I'm not doubting or disputing chemical residue in the plant or on the ground, it happens. It just doesn't happen in this case, and if you knew what you were talking about, you wouldn't have commented to begin with. Because what other kind straw is there other than wheat or rye? None. So one more time, tell us all what herbicide are farmers spraying on their wheat and rye that leaves a residue prior to harvest.

I'll go with; None. Yeah, none.

What do I win?

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't need to tell you anymore, you know everything. The herbicide residue can be in the ground at planting time and the wheat can take it up without damaging it. But will still have effect on non grass crops. Good day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom